Browser fully crashes under macOS due to input element

Hi devs, appreciate y’all taking a look at the following.

Description of the issue:
Input element causes browser crash.

This just started with the most recent release. Similar issue filed with Chromium here.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
(1) Create an HTML document with an input element of type file with accept="..json". See https://gist.github.com/TomSellers/4e27a513d645a02340ea9ca941a4640d

(2) Open the document

(3) click the input element

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Brave browser application crashes completely

Expected result:
Browser application does not crash

Reproduces how often:
100% of the time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
macOS 12.6.3, Brave Version 1.49.120 Chromium: 111.0.5563.64 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
Setting the value of accept to .json or .gz should not cause a crash (and did not, up until the latest build).

Hello @pbarry25

Thank you for reaching us and I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. Can you please go to brave://crashes and

• if you have automatic crash reporting is enabled (Settings --> Privacy/Security --> Automatically send diagnostic reports), please respond back here with the crash report ID
  • If Automatically send diagnostic reports is not enabled, ensure you click Send on these crash reports listed on the page, then reply here with the crash report ID

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Alice,

I did have auto crash reporting enabled, here’s what I see from that URL:

Crash from Friday, March 10, 2023 at 8:24:46 AM

Uploaded Crash Report ID: 48400200-c5e7-be09-0000-000000000000
Upload Time: Friday, March 10, 2023 at 8:24:46 AM

Thank you!

Hi again! @pbarry25

Thanks for the information, I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards!

1 Like

@pbarry25 thanks a bunch for reporting. Just to confirm, you’re also experiencing this with Chrome?

2 Likes

Hi Steeven!

Correct, I’m seeing this with both Chrome and Brave on macOS 12.6.3 (Intel platform).

Thanks!

@pbarry25,
Thanks for reaching out.
It looks like you’re correct and that this issue is due to a bug in the underlying Chromium engine. This will likely get resolved during the next Chromium bump — that said I will forward this information to our devs to review either way but yeah likely an upstream fix here.

2 Likes

Awesome, sounds good, Mattches. Big thanks to you and the Brave team for being so responsive to my post, really appreciate y’all!

Pearce

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.