Frequent crashing

Description of the issue:
In the last day or so Brave has crashed many times with only a few tabs open at the time.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Update: it appears clicking on Brave Shields and Brave Rewards is causing crashes. Not sure if there are other causes as well.

No obvious pattern to the crashes. I don’t know how to isolate what the problem is or how to fix it (if it is an extension, etc.) No new extension installed lately but I did turn on the new extensions toolbar recently.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Log file

Expected result:
No crashing.

Reproduces how often:
100%

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 0.68.131 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
macOS 10.14.6 (18G95)

Additional Information:

@mbierman,
Can you check brave://flags and see if for any reason you have the flag #extension-menu-toolbar enabled? If so, disable it and relaunch the browser when prompted.

1. The #extensions-menu-toolbar flag was on.

2. Disabling it seems to have solved the problem.

3. Enabling it seems to reproduce the bug which causes the crash.

So the workaround is to disable this menu but someone needs to look into that bug.

1 Like

@mbierman,
I believe we’re already working on it – additionally, we’re also trying to find out why that flag is enabled by default for some users.

In my case, I had turned this flag on.

It did not occur to me that this was related however, because at first I didn’t realize the crash related to clicking on the Brave Rewards or Brave Shields and to be honest I wouldn’t have guested that turning on the Toolbar Extensions menu would be tied into that. But hey, that’s the nature of bugs, I guess.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.