Brave won't import passwords

Description of the issue:
Hi, I recently migrated from Windows 10 to Linux Mint, and obviously all my previous files where deleted in the process. However, I did save all the data from Brave Browser. So after reinstalling brave, I replaced the User Data folder with the old one, however, only the History and Bookmarks transfered successfully. The extensions and passwords did not. I don’t care about the extensions, but I do about the passwords. The password manager is just empty.
I opened the original login data file (the one I saved before reseting) and all the data is still there, even after moving it to the current Default folder, but the list of saved passwords in Brave is empty. I’ve also tried it on another computer with Windows and the result is still the same. What can I do?

I wouldn’t mind if I can’t import the password as long as I am able to see them from the login data file. However since the passwords are encrypted I can’t. So if there’s a way to decrypt them that will also be useful.

Thanks in advance!

Brave Version: Version 1.41.100 Chromium: 103.0.5060.134 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@Elrom It’s too bad you didn’t search about that first, as there’s been issues. And as in my FAQ it is recommended you start a Sync chain so you could have just pulled your passwords, History, Bookmarks, Extensions, etc from Sync instead.

One of the possible solutions given by someone here on the community is as mentioned below:

2 Likes

Hi! I know, I would have liked to do it. But just like the post you sent, the reason I switch OS was because my Windows got destroyed beyond reparation. I was able to save some files by booting Linux Mint form an USB.
I’ve seen something about ChromePass, I’ll give it a go! Thank you very much!

1 Like

May want to create a Sync chain when you can and put the code somewhere safe, so you don’t have to worry about this in the future. If code had been saved in email or something, all you’d be doing now is adding new device to chain and then all info would be there.

But as they say, hindsight is 20/20, right? Give me a favor and give an update as to whether it was successful or if you have issues.

1 Like

Hey! I’ve tried but unfortunately it didn’t work. I’ve opened the file but the ‘password’ column was blank. I think this is because I just saved the BraveBrowser folder. I don’t have all the User data, not even the Windows Protect folder, so I don’t think it’s possible to decrypt it.

Hi

From my experience for that method to work there are 2 prerequisites:

1. The OS should be the same.
  2. The login password for windows should be the same.

In other words, you can see your passwords only on the same machine that is used to save the user data.

Try to use the same password to login to Windows of the other pc (Not sure if this is going to work).

1 Like

I’ve tried it and it didn’t work. But don’t worry, I’ve been able to restablish/find the most importante ones!
Thanks for the help anyways!! I may keep continue trying different variations.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.