Brave Update Deleted all Bookmarks, History, etc

It’s wherever you chose to put it when you exported it from the old version of Brave.

The old version of brave got changed to the new version during the update
, so where did the old version store it?

Yes, the same thing happened with the update for me.

@wadvocat,
Launch Brave (old) and then follow these instructions:

1. Open the main menu
  2. Hover over Bookmarks
  3. Then Export Bookmarks
  4. Choose the location you’d like to save it

Brave old is the new brave on my machine. The update changed it to the new and left it labeled as old

What operating system are you using?

Windows 10 home edition

I have the same issue and have a FIX:
Uninstall the new Brave.
In windows you find it in control panel>programs and something
Run the old Brave (you should have a shadow icon or something.

…wait until the fine Brave team can get a fix.

1 Like

My bookmarks were all imported. My passwords however were only partially imported. Is it possible that passwords with some special characters in them break the import process? I’m thinking that could also be what happens with the bookmarks.

Turns out I think all passwords were imported. When a website does not show my saved password, I just Ctrl+Shift+R and it reloads the page with the password in memory. Sometimes however, the passwords are incorrect and I need to reset them.

1 Like

Same happened to me, Lost years of work. Load ‘Old’ brave book marks did nothing to correct problem.
Looks like Brave really stepped in it t;his time.

The update deleted the old brave on me. It no longer exists. I have switched to the Opera browser as I do not like getting torpedoed.

My issue seems to be a combination of the issues on this page.

I restarted my computer (running on Windows 8) and found to my horror that Brave had updated and dumped ALL my bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.

Yes, there is a greyed Brave icon on my toolbar, though it opens the same new brave that the new Brave icon opens.

When I tried importing my bookmarks, I had to do a bunch of web research to find the HTML file, which looks like a bunch of gobbledygook run together in a notepad file, and the trick I read on this thread about importing the bookmarks by using that file has not worked for me. I had hundreds upon hundreds of bookmarks saved (I am a researcher), and the thought of having to sort through all that mess is soul-wrecking.

Important to note is that this is NOT THE FIRST TIME this has happened. @BraveDevelopers: please try to find a way to safeguard against this happening every time you release an update! I (along with every other Brave user, I imagine) simply cannot afford to have this happen repeatedly. It is a massive flaw.

As to the suggestion that we just delete the new Brave and wait with fingers crossed for Brave developers to find a solution, I don’t see that working when my “old” Brave now looks exactly like my new Brave.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am desperate for a solution.

Thank you!

For everyone still active in this thread,
Your bookmarks are not gone. Nor is your browsing data, passwords, or anything else present in the Muon build of Brave.

I wrote an extensive explanation on the update process and solutions to common problems (including “my bookmarks were deleted”) a couple days ago. It’s pinned to the top of all categories globally right now.

If you missed it, you can find it here.

I’m going to close this topic for now, since any and all issues reported here are present in the post linked to above. If you’re issues are not resolved by following the steps provided in that thread, please either:

• Create a new topic explaining that the above thread did not resolve your issue and tag me in it (@Mattches) and we can attempt further troubleshooting.
  • Message me directly and mention that the steps in the thread did not resolve your issue and I will open a topic on your behalf and we can troubleshoot the problem.

Thank you.

I’m going to close this topic for now, since any and all issues reported here are present in the post linked to above. If you’re issues are not resolved by following the steps provided in that thread, please either:

• Create a new topic explaining that the above thread did not resolve your issue and tag me in it (@Mattches) and we can attempt further troubleshooting.
  • Message me directly and mention that the steps in the thread did not resolve your issue and I will open a topic on your behalf and we can troubleshoot the problem.