Brave Is Very Slow To Load Sites

I have noticed that no matter what I turn on or off in the settings of the browser, it is significantly slower when it comes to loading websites. The issue is present with sites I visit frequently and those I am visiting for the first time.

When it comes to being reproduced, it happens just about every time I try and load into a website, take youtube for example. I can go to youtube on Brave first, as in even give it a second or two head-start, and then open up firefox or chrome, type in youtube.com and be loaded into youtube on firefox or chrome and watching a video long before youtube has even loaded to the main page on Brave. It’s a very frustrating experience and I can’t tell what is causing it. Some previous posts mentioned it could be an issue with hardware acceleration; tried the same thing with it on and off to no avail. Very frustrated overall here.

1. Open Brave
  2. Click on the shortcut in place for YouTube
  3. Youtube takes upwards of 6-7 seconds to load

The expected result is for it to be damn near instant if not within 2-3 seconds.

Brave is up to date:
Version 1.68.141 Chromium: 127.0.6533.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@Nvidia,
Can you please try creating a new temp. profile (Menu --> More tools --> Add profile), close your original profile, then try visiting some sites in the new profile? Do sites load slowly when using the new profile?

Hi Mattches!

Thanks for the follow up. When creating a temp profile, sites seem to load without issue and in a reasonable time.

I uninstalled all my extensions just to see if they were causing issues on my main profile but the issue persists even with no extensions installed

@Nvidia, here are the key differences between profiles:

1. No cookies in a clean profile.
  2. No extensions installed.
  3. Most settings revert to default (except for custom filters in Shields and any changes in brave://flags, which persist).

If removing extensions hasn’t resolved the issue, it could be due to a changed setting or simply the need to clear cookies. Have you tried opening the site in a private window on the original profile that is experiencing issues?

The difference between normal and private browsing is that private mode starts a new session with no cookies and disables extensions by default. If your original profile works well in private mode, it could help narrow down the issue.

Hi Saoiray,

It seems clearing cookies did the trick.

Can you provide me with some more information as to how the cookies could have slowed down the loading by so much as I haven’t experienced this kind of issue in the past with other browsers.

Thanks again!

@Nvidia I’m glad clearing cookies helped! Here’s why that might have made a difference:

Cookies are small files stored by websites on your device to remember your preferences and login details. Over time, cookies can accumulate, leading to conflicts or excessive data being sent and received when you visit a site. This can slow down loading times, especially if the stored cookies are outdated or corrupted.

For example, if a website updated its settings or features and your browser is still using an old cookie, it could cause delays as the browser struggles to reconcile the new site data with the outdated cookie information.

In contrast, when you clear your cookies, the browser is forced to fetch fresh data from the website, which often results in faster load times. However, this does come at the expense of having to sign into your accounts again, as the cleared cookies would have been responsible for remembering your login details. (which is why it’s recommended not to clear too often)

Other browsers might manage cookies differently, not to mention the cookies likely varied based on websites you had visited on each repspective browser, which is why you didn’t notice the issue elsewhere. However, keeping cookies cleared periodically can help maintain speed across all browsers.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

EDIT

It’s worth noting that issues with cookies are relatively rare. Many people can go years without encountering problems caused by bad cookies. It’s more of a roll of the dice—changes on websites or data becoming corrupt can lead to these issues, but it’s not something that happens often.

1 Like

All very useful information!

Thank you again for your help!

Great explanation @Saoiray!