Brave loads certain pages VERY slowly

Brave loads Amazon.com and Slickdeals.net VERY SLOWLY, it takes over a couple of minutes for these sights to load. I’m sure there are many other sites as well, but these two seem to stand out in my daily usage.

I have Windows 11 home (up to date)
Brave Version 1.68.134 Chromium: 127.0.6533.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)
On an LG Gram 13Z980 laptop.

This issue has been going on for more than a year now, only with Brave, Chrome and Firefox work fine. I’ve gone through every setting in Brave, enabled & disabled extensions, Brave shields, ad blockers, deleting cache, etc. I’ve tried changing my router settings, etc. The problem persists.

The ONLY fix that works is to completely delete/uninstall, and then re-install Brave. After that, everything loads quickly for at least a couple weeks, and then progressively gets slower and slower slower… until I have 2-full-minute-PLUS load times for some sites after about a month or so.

Every time I am forced to delete/re-install Brave, I am forced to go through re-authorizing ALL of the websites I have previously accessed (work accounts, professional organizations, bank accounts, stock market accounts, cryptocurrency accounts, healthcare accounts, etc etc etc); this is a MONUMENTAL HASSLE!

I would like to continue using Brave, but I’ve already begun transitioning over to Firefox, as I feel this issue will NEVER be corrected. I have researched the issue, I’ve waited for Brave updates, I’ve continued over the past couple of years to delete/re-install Brave browser 3-4 times a year, to resolve the issue.

I will re-state that I’ve been through ALL of the browser settings, extensions, my router settings, my anti-virus settings (Malwarebytes), and this ONLY occurs on Brave, not on other browsers that I use on the same device.

I don’t expect there to be an answer, but because I would like to continue using Brave I am throwing this out there as a last ditch before I permanently switch to Firefox. I would also mention that I use brave on my Android phone, and do not have any issues whatsoever with the same webpages on my mobile device.

If you’ve truly tried all of those things and the only thing that fixes the issue is a full re-install then I’m really not sure what the problem could be. I am curious to know if there really are more sites than those that load slowly and what sites those are, as there may be some commonality between them.

I’m also interested to know if this issue occurs:

• When you turn Brave Shields off?
  • If you create a new browser profile, do you still see this behavior?
  • After a re-install, how long does it take for the issue to start?

Thank you for the quick reply.
To answer your questions:
Yes, there are more sites than just those two. The entire browser slows down overall, but Slickdeals & Amazon seem to take an excessively long time for graphics to load; they are the most noticeable for me.

Brave shields makes no difference. Same with any extensions, enabled or disabled. I’ve also tried changing site settings to ALLOW everything, and that didn’t help either.

I tried opening in a Private Window, and everything opened normally, including SlickDeals & Amazon. Of course, I have to go through sign-in and verification on every site, every time I visit when in Private mode.

I also tried creating a new profile as you suggested. The new profile worked great, everything opened normally… but just like a re-install, none of my data, passwords, bookmarks, etc are saved. So creating a new profile seems to be the same as re-installing Brave. I have to re-authorize, verify, and sign back in to all my websites.

I can try the new profile for awhile, is there a way to import all my data from my original profile?

Thanks in advance for your input.

@alambrose, you can import your data using Sync, but doing so right now might defeat the purpose of testing with a new profile.

The idea of using a new browser profile is to have Brave running with default settings and no extensions. If everything works well there, it indicates that the issue might be related to your previous settings or extensions.

1 Like

@alambrose,
What @Saoiray said is exactly right — we’re trying to isolate where the issue is occurring. So maybe you can open that new profile and try only using amazon.com and slickdeals.com in that new profile for a while (you can use your normal profile for everything else if you’d like) and test to see if these sites still slow down at the same rate they were before?

If they do not, then it’s likely a profile related issue and we can troubleshoot further from there. If the same behavior happens then something else is afoot.

I saw your reply after I had already figured out I could sync…

So I’ve synced the new profile, and everything is running fine… I’ll have to see if it starts slowing down after a few weeks.

I appreciate the responses you guys have provided.

I will create ANOTHER profile that is not synced, run it for awhile, and then slowly add in settings & extensions one at a time to see if I can figure out the culprit.

I do run several extensions, I counted 12 though all are not active; a few ad blockers, Malwarebytes, Citrix Web Extension, Rakuten Shopping, Adobe PDF, etc etc…

Anyway, it’s hard for me to pinpoint when the slowdown began, because apparently it’s kind of like a clogged cache that has to be cleared every few months.

I was unaware that creating a new profile could solve this, which is far easier than uninstalling and reinstalling the entire program.

I’ll follow up if anything else arises, thanks!

Yes but to be clear, this issue is not being solved here, you’re just working around it.

I would wager that one or multiple of these extensions are the root cause of this issue — third party extensions can cause all sorts of weird behavior and can be tricky to spot.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.