Brave is Using Too Much Memory

I have to frequently close & reboot Brave as it will run as much as 21+ GBs of RAM! I don’t know if I’ve ever had a browser run up that much memory usage before, and wonder why this is happening. I’m running the most updated version of Brave, on a newer iMac with Mojave 10.14.6, with 40 GB of RAM.
I have very few extensions installed, constantly clear cache & browsing history, but still the RAM usage if off the charts.

1 Like

@StevenCee,
Can you take a look and see if disabling Hardware Acceleration helps resolve the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Hi @StevenCee

Quick question about your configuration: you mention an iMac Pro with 40GB of RAM and MacOS 10.14.6, right?
Isn’t it an issue of RAM quality? By default, the iMac Pro embarks 32 or 64 GB of RAM not 40, is it some special RAM installed on your iMac?

Not any special RAM, cause it’s an iMac, not Macbook (on which I do have 32 GB)…

And Mattches, I’ve disabled Hardware Acceleration long ago. I don’t even know why browsers even have it, since that’s one of the very first solutions people suggest, when having any trouble. But it’s off…

Does Brave have every tab in every window active? I’m streaming the news on one page, nothing else using video or audio, and it’s showing Brave using 21.3 GB of RAM

And one of the biggest memory hogs is the “Brave browser helper (GPU)”, that currently is using 5.30 GB of RAM, and 40% of CPU usage!

@StevenCee
re the RAM of your computer: you mentioned 40 Go in your initial message, hence my question :wink:

Have you tried to open the task manager, as mentioned in this post: Megathread: For users seeing high CPU spikes/usage ? It would give you more information on which part of Brave is absorbing all this RAM.

1 Like

Apologies for the late reply – @StevenCee, @S3MP is asking the right questions. Would you be willing to open the browser task manager (Menu --> More Tools --> Task manager) and see what process(es) are taking up the most resources?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.