Browser high RAM usage

Description of the issue:
Brave uses a lot of RAM

How can this issue be reproduced?
Open a couple of websites and watch YouTube

Expected result:
For Brave to use less RAM as possible

Brave Version:
1.26.74 Chromium: 91.0.4472.124 (Official Build) (64-bit)

DxDiag.txt (82.2 KB)

Same here. On macOS, Brave is using a total of 700Mo of RAM…

Would test without any extensions enabled, every extension will add it’s own CPU, GPU and RAM overhead.

I have the same problem … only with an open tab (gmail for example) I have gotten to have up to 1gb of ram usage …

I’ve tried to reproduced the same situation on my laptop Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to no avail. I’d usually blame W10, but not in this case…

It’s not the extensions as you can see on the image, Brave and YouTube are the ones that use a lot of RAM

The actual extension resource usage is one part, the other part is the interaction between the extensions and each of the tabs. This isn’t measured via the task manager.

1 Like

I solved this issue on my side. Video downloader extensions were causing this high RAM usage.

1 Like

I disabled all extensions and the browser still uses a lot of RAM

Hey @Fannste94 !

Is this something you have only recently noticed or has been this way since you installed?

From my experience, 3.2GB used for 22 tabs is a bit on the higher side but not out of the ordinary. It completely depends on what you are browsing, the each site will use a variable amount of RAM.

Porridge

I guess you restarted Brave before checking. I forgot to mention I am on macOS…

I noticed it recently, before Brave used around 1,5 or 2GB of RAM max

The 22 processes that he shows in the device manager, he doesn’t want to say that he has 22 tabs open in the browser … even, in my case. Having only one tab open, I have had 15 or more brave processes running.

I have 5 or 6 tabs open