Too much memory used

Description of the issue:
Hi,
I am a new user of Brave on Mac OS (Monterey) and I really like it a lot but I have some memory issues.
Indeed Brave seems to consume a lot of RAM.
With now just a few tabs opened, it is consuming 14 Go.
But a few days ago, I had to close Brave because I got an error message from the mac.

Do you know what can be the cause of this problem ?

Thank you for your help !

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.34.80 Chromium: 97.0.4692.71 (Build officiel) (arm64)

Additional Information:

Yup. Same problem here. I can trigger it reliably when I’m trying to create a “new”-type quiz in the Canvas LMS. I create a multiple-choice question and then as soon as I start entering the different answer possibilities, the browser will lock up (spinning system cursor), and then memory usage will start climbing, until Brave consumes all available memory on my machine (it is 32 GB!). When I received the message that my machine was out of application memory, Brave was using 72 GB of VM!

I have a dump from force quitting the app if someone wants to contact me.

Same version of Brave as above:

Version 1.34.80 Chromium: 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (arm64)

I’m running Mac OS Monterey version 12.1 on an M1 Pro MacBook Pro.

I have the same problem when opening several (a dozen or so) tabs with Flickr URLs.

MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014, 16 GB RAM
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Brave 1.35.101

@theoz , @designwallah , @thersites,

theoz,

Your Force Quit (Forcer des . . .) window shows that you are running a lot of processes that are eating up memory, particularly

• Evernote
  • Notes
  • Spotify

And, for the other Brave Community members with the same issue, here, please Quit everything and Restart your computer – AFTER clearing cookies, cache, history, browsing and site data:

brave://settings/clearBrowserData

Perhaps you have a collection of extensions? You might disable what you do not need.

Can you disable Sync, for testing, for now?

Start up:

• Activity Monitor, select the Memory tab (in the toolbar area), and select Shared Memory among the column header names

• TextEdit or another text editor on your Mac

• Brave Browser, and in the Help menu, Search field, type: Task Manager, and select Task Manager

• Open the Developer Tools >> Network feature of Brave Browser

You can find that (Developer Tools >> Network) by using the Brave Browser Help menu and within its Search field, type “Developer Tools” (no quotes).

A lot of tips on how to use Developer Tools:

You can set the location (in your computer display screen) for the Developer Tools window, including, detaching that window from the Brave Browser window.

Using Developer Tools >> Network, takes practice. In that window, you may find a lot of activity with something.google.com servers. What you are looking for, are indications of a lot of network activity occurring “behind the scenes.”

Test, using a New Private Window -vs- a New Window.

So, you have three diagnostic windows open, showing activity and performance.

Use Brave Browser to tour / visit the Internet. Try to overwhelm Brave Browser.

Be prepared to take screenshots and/or take notes (OK, maybe start up TextEdit) of what gets interesting (or not) in either / both of the two windows.

Does Brave Browser continue to significantly eat up memory? Are you able to determine where?

1 Like

https://www.chromium.org/developers/memory-usage-backgrounder/

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.