Brave browser high RAM usage

The GPU process of Brave browser uses a lot of RAM (500Mb)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR4 Memory 2666 MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-H (rev. 1.1)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 Series 4GB GDDR5
HDD: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB
SSD: KINGSTON SA400S37120G 120GB
Monitor: LG 22MK430H-B FullHD IPS 21.5"

I would disable all but uBO extensions, and disable shields (ads and trackers) in brave://settings/shields since you have uBO

Or try using private window mode, see if memory usage improves with no extensions enabled.

Brave is a Chromium Fork. And Chromium based browsers (and other browser as well) are well known for high RAM usage. This is unfortunately normal behavior.

There are a few things you can try like disabling extensions. But this will help only so much. I don’t use Brave on my iPad Pro (b/c there is no support for blocking cookie messages and it is way too buggy) but another browser - all based on Safari of course (there is no way around Safari on iOS). And despite it is an iPad Pro with a lot of RAM I often run out of memory when I have opened a few dozens tabs.

So yes, all modern browsers have a serious issue with memory usage.

Tried and it’s the same

Maybe there’s an issue with the hardware acceleration in the browser, Vivaldi and Edge managed to reduce the RAM usage by fixing the GPU hardware acceleration that Chromium has

GPU log.txt (65.8 KB)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.