Brave homepage loading support.search instead of search.brave. How to fix

Upon downloading the Brave browser, I am having trouble using the search function. Instead of utilizing search.brave, the site is using support.search.brave. I have looked for the brave url to implement in it’s place, but either it rejects the url chosen or defaults back to support.search. Any help in making the correct address saved in the default search status appreciated.

Have you changed your search engine to Brave in brave://settings/search?

Per the below quote:

I do not understand where you are trying to change the url. Can you provide more information or a screenshot of where you are changing the url?

The url for Brave Search is search.brave.com. You can type that in your address bar but you can change it to be the default in brave://settings/search.

1 Like

I got more help, was able to get search.brave.com up but am unable to make it default search engine.

@DwayneO

OK, now I’m curious, why can’t you make it the default search engine? Can you explain?

Glad the url is now working for you now! :smiley:

1 Like

When I put url in “add search engine” it wants a keyword and URL with %s in place of query. Have no idea what to put there.

You shouldn’t have to do that for Brave Search. It should already be in the dropdown list in the Search engine used in the address bar on the the brave:/settings/search page or in the pre-defined Default search engines on the brave://settings/searchEngines (Manage Search Engines) page.

If you do type in the url for some reason, try this:

https://search.brave.com/search?q=%s

Keyword can be anything you designate.

1 Like

Thanx! Got it in the list but the “make default” for it is inop.

I have no idea why it would be inoperable. Very strange. If you want a community member with more expertise to drill down and see if they can help you fix that, you can provide more information. Gave an example of some of the information that would help troubleshoot, but it is definitely not exhaustive! lol

1. Brave version and OS - first three lines at brave://version
  2. Did you try clearing cache/history?
  3. Using any extensions? Did you try to disable all extensions?
  4. Did you create a new profile and see if operable in the profile?
1 Like

Thanx!

1. |Brave|1.25.72 Chromium: 91.0.4472.101 (Official Build) (64-bit)|
    |—|—|
    |Revision|af52a90bf87030dd1523486a1cd3ae25c5d76c9b-refs/branch-heads/4472@{#1462}|
    |OS|Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601.24544)|
    |JavaScript|V8 9.1.269.36|
    |User Agent|Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.101 Safari/537.36|

2. Really prefer not deleting history, it’s mighty handy. Don’t know cache?

Only have 2?

DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials (off)

Rakuten: Get Cash Back For Shopping (on)

1. No

@DwayneO,
Can you show me what it looks like for you when you click the “more options” icon next to the search engine — as shown below?

1 Like

I’m unable to screenshot but identical to your post. Can make any on list default except Brave. The “Make default” “button” is lighter and inop, edit and delete are darker. Thanx!

@DwayneO Whenever you respond to a moderator (or anyone), please tag them. With all the posts here, and the DMs , and who knows what else, your reply may be overlooked and lost in the shuffle.

Tagging @Mattches for you. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanx! How do I do that?

@DwayneO I did it for you in post #12. To tag anyone, you put an @ sign in front of their username. So, I tagged you in this message and I tagged Mattches in post #12 above.

Tagging someone will send them a notice. It may take a while for them to get back to you.

2 Likes

@DwayneO,
Can you try removing it from the list (Delete option), then visiting search.brave.com, performing a search, then return to the Search engine screen and see if it’s added to the Other search engines list — if so, try again to make it default.

1 Like

@Mattches
Thanx!! I deleted and went to Brave Search, searched “How to make Brave default search engine” this came up, https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403568397837-Brave-Search-FAQ. Followed instruct’s and WALAH!. Why didn’t I do this 1st?? Sorry to’ve wasted so much of y’all’s time and effort. If this comes up agin at least we’ll know.

1 Like

No worries at all — glad that did the trick. Please don’t hesitate to reach out again with any further questions or concerns.

1 Like