Brave does not launches, even after deleting User Data

@indida assuming you’re on Windows 7 or 8?

i have the same problem. using windows 7. Just for today it happened. Yesterday its still normal. For now im using opera gx

@Viren21 Could you clarify if you’re having trouble with the browser not opening or with the installation itself?

For @indida (and possibly for you), the issue is that Windows 7 is no longer supported. It’s been more than a year since support ended. When you try to install from the main site, it attempts to install the newest version, which won’t work on Windows 7. Instead, you’ll need to download the last compatible version from GitHub: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/tag/v1.47.186

To choose the right installer:

1. Use BraveBrowserStandaloneSetup.exe for Windows 64-bit.
  2. Use BraveBrowserStandaloneSetup32.exe for Windows 32-bit.
  3. Use BraveBrowserStandaloneSetupArm64.exe if you’re on ARM 64 architecture.

In terms of the browser not opening, it’s tough to say since the browser itself won’t receive updates, but it should still fetch updates for components, like those used for Shields. If it’s something else on your device, it could be harder to troubleshoot since the OS is outdated and no longer supported, but we’ll have to wait and see if more people report similar issues.

only auto closes when double clicked i didnt uniinstalll. Since brave is already installed years ago as i remember but on control panel its installed around 2023 (probably update) and version is 109.1.47.186

Me too. It won’t reinstall.

@lemon you still having issues or has it resolved?

Hi there, suffered the same issue today morning. Brave would crash upon opening within 10 seconds. Panicked, and uninstalled Brave from PC (uninstalled but kept browsing data as the second option), now I am not able to reinstall as the installer says “No new updates available”. Looks like people had this issue in South America few days ago but was resolved.

Do you have better news or update on this?
I operate from Windows 8.1. You think I should try installing from the github link you posted? Thanks

Update: Installed the version posted from Github link. the crashing issue still persists. Have spent a couple oh hours trying to figure out the issue. any help will be much appreciated. thanks

@Saoiray

@AbbasB To reinstall, you’ll need to use the link I provided, as it’s the last version of Brave available for Windows 7 and 8.

As for the crashes, it seems likely that they may have been triggered by a component update. While the browser itself doesn’t receive updates anymore, Brave still updates components for Shields, which allows the adblocker to continue working well. However, sometimes content filters might not be backwards compatible, which could lead to crashes. When issues like this are reported, @fanboynz and others usually investigate and make adjustments to fix it.

That said, there might come a point when they won’t be able to continue supporting these adjustments for older, unsupported versions.

I’m tagging @fanboynz for visibility and also @szilardszaloki to see if there are any insights on what could be done here, especially for future consideration. I know eventually will need to share a way for people to block components from being able to update so as to avoid issues.

@Saoiray Thanks. I was able to reinstall Brave from the link you provided. Unfortunately the crashing persists.
I will stay on Chrome for the time being, hopefully someone can figure out why this issue happened out of nowhere and helps with a resolution.
Thanks

@AbbasB Could you try something for me while we wait to hear back from someone at Brave? Go ahead and uninstall Brave again, and before opening the new installation, right-click the Brave shortcut, click Properties, and add --disable-component-update to the Target. It should look like this: "C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe" --disable-component-update.

If you launch it like this every time, it should stop fetching component updates. If that works, at least you’ll have the browser back for now. You might eventually want to remove that command and update later on, assuming they release a fix.

@AbbasB Would you be able to send me logs? Will send you a DM to get started.

• Windows: start Brave (not as admin) from Command Prompt via "C:/Program Files/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Application/brave.exe" --args --enable-logging --v=1 and then share with me the resulting chrome_debug.log from %localappdata%/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/User Data
  • macOS: start Brave (not as admin) from Terminal via /Applications/Brave\ Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave\ Browser --args --enable-logging --v=1 and then share with me the resulting chrome_debug.log from ~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser

Also, could you let me know if you’ve launched Brave as admin before, and if so, why it was necessary?

Thanks!

This does have to do with what you’re experiencing — sending you a DM, in case you wanted to share logs with me.
Thanks!

im trying it right now i just cant locate where that file is

@Viren21 Steps to locate the chrome_debug.txt file in Windows 7:

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the Run window.

2. In the Run window, type this:

%localappdata%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data
  1. Press Enter. This will open a folder in File Explorer.

2. Inside that folder, look for the file called chrome_debug.txt.

If you’re still having trouble, double-check if Brave is running with the logging command (--enable-logging --v=1). You need to follow the steps from szilardszaloki’s instructions first, so the log file gets created.

I already saw it via search its not .txt but “chrome_debug.log”

i also want to send the file but idk how DM him

Hi there,
Sent a DM. :+1:t2:

Hello @szilardszaloki ,

Any update as of today?
Have users of Win 7/8 said their farewell to Brave for good?

1 Like

The browser has been down for more than a day. I would like to know if there is an interest in getting the browser back to life and working or if it is time to change the browser. I am using win 7. As can be seen from the forums, there are many users with the same problem.