Brave Continuously Crashing

Good day.
I have been a huge fan of Brave since I was introduced to it in March 2018. However, The past two days have been truly frustrating.
Brave keeps crashing for no apparent reason, resulting in a lot of work needing to be redone (I work in finance, and all of our data and programs etc. are cloud-based).

Is there any way to fix this?
This is by no means intended as a childish threat, but I will have to move back to Chrome until this is resolved, although I really do not want to!

Thanks.

Hi, what version of Brave are you using?
If in your URL bar you use
about:brave
works (a page opens) you have a very outdated version which is no longer supported.
The recommendation is then:
https://community.brave.com/t/brave-dark-mode-reacts-to-light-dark-os/35948/6?u=mediabird

If it doesn’t work with about:brave, you can find the version here:
chrome://settings/help

:slight_smile:

I had the stuffy crash bug for a while too, up to a certain update.

Hi MediaBird.
Thanks for the reply! I’m currently using Version 0.58.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) and I’m running it on Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise

@CalvinJ Thanks for reporting the issue. Can you please provide more more info on the crash issue on your windows 10. Did you try disabling hardware acceleration?
are you seeing the crash issue as soon as you install 0.58.18? or else is it getting crashed when you working on 0.58.18. please provide more info, so that we can go ahead with crash Investigations. if possible can you provide logs?

Hi there. Thanks for replying.
My machine does not support Hardware Acceleration.
I installed the update when Brave prompted me, and then a while later it started crashing. I have set it so that it sends the crash reports automatically.
I’m not sure what other info I can give you, unfortunately. One moment I’ll be working and everything is fine, the next Brave simply crashes. If I reopen, then Brave says it did not close properly before and can restore the open pages etc.
I’m not sure if there is another way to send you the crash logs? As stated above, at the moment I’m working on Chrome so as to avoid losing my work.

@gsarvadnya More people have this as well.
Current version is 71.0.3578.98 on Windows 7. This only occured after the latest update of the browser. It likely has to do with the display engine, as it also occurs with Brave’s own Settings html page, it’s not just for webpages. Even the home page of the browser is affected by it.

If you open the browser, every second time you click on the home button it will crash. This is certainly not website specific.

@CalvinJ and @sgx Thanks for the additional information. Could you take screen shot or copy the crash reports from Chrome://crashes and paste it here in the thread or DM me. Which will help us to investigate the issue.

Thanks both!

Screenshot

There’s not much info in this window there.

Hi, seem to have the exact same issue.
On Version 0.58.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit), on Win 10.

It crashed about 1 in 10 launches, and after it it loses all opened tab info (option continue where you left off).
Attaching the crash page, let me know if you need more info.

Shouldn’t crash error reporting be at the core of building a new version? Normally providing more info should be as easy as clicking on a button.

Unfortunately none of these crash reports contain an uploaded ID. Once you’ve clicked Send Now on a crash, you can immediately restart the browser to have the report uploaded. When a report has been uploaded, it will present an Uploaded Crash Report ID. This ID will allow us to further investigate the cause of the crash.

Thanks Sampson.
Please see below:

Do I need to report the others shown on the screenshot as well?

Fresh crash report…
Sticking to Chrome until this is resolved:

@CalvinJ No need to report all of your crashes; it’s likely they are redundant. Thank you for the help; we’ll take a look at what is causing this issue and work to resolve it quickly.

202c15a25569e8bc
9331ee711ec32bc0
446c94e46b13838c

@CalvinJ We’ve identified the crash region; the issue has something to do with key-entry during an auto-fill popup window. Do you happen to have your usernames and passwords stored in Brave? If so, it sounds like you may be experiencing the crash while attempting to populate form fields.

One thing to try would be to go to a site where you have credentials stored, and perform a few interactions with the auto-fill component that appears onscreen. Try pressing up, down, page up, page down, tab, and esc. One of these (or a sequence of these) may cause the crash to take place.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Sampson. This does make sense. It is a site where I have credentials stored. The crash often happens when I’m filling in fields on the page and use Tab to go between fields. Does this help?

That does indeed; are you able to reproduce it easily just by pressing tab from within the field? Do you have multiple sets of credentials for that page stored, or only one?

I’ve been trying to reproduce it, but I can’t seem to figure out the pattern that triggers it.
There are multiple credentials for the site, yes. Which actually brings another point. When I’m busy with the site, in the top left-hand corner it keeps showing the different credentials. I have activated 1Password now. Should I remove the saved passwords from Brave?
This problem only started occurring after the latest Brave update.

If you’ve moved over to LastPass, you can indeed remove your stored credentials from Brave. Just make sure you have your master password for LastPass securely stored someplace so as not to lose access to all of your secondary credentials :slight_smile:

To manage your credentials in Brave, navigate to brave://settings/passwords.

I have filed the following issue to track progress and developments moving forward.

2 Likes