Brave Crashes every time I open it

Every time I open brave it crashes instantly after opening. If I keep opening it and let it crash a bunch of times it just works and doesnt crash for some reason. I have this issue with another browser as well but not chrome. I have reinstalled brave multiple times and tried everything I could find but to no avail.

I am having the exact same problem, just happened April 1st (today). It opens and then automatically closes. Tried from shortcut and exe file. Same problem. Totally frustrating.

1 Like

@Dumemes @belizebum thanks for reporting. A few direct follow up questions:

• Can you tell me more about what you have enabled in the browser: Rewards, Sync, Wallet? - Any new extensions?
  • Did you enable any flags via brave://flags by any chance?
  • Can you check to see if there are any crashes reported using the following:

C:\Users[user]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Crashpad

Thank you!

Please also confirm what Brave version # you are on. Thank you!

No new extentions, nothing enabled as far as I know, but I cant open it to find out. No flags as far as I know. Version would be whatever is on the home page as I reinstalled after the issue to see if that would fix it.

Where should I go from here???

Screenshot 2022-04-01 103202

If either of you manage to get the browser open, can you go to brave://crashes and send us the crash reports (unless automatic crash reporting is enabled in Settings), then share the crash report ID with us here so we can have our devs take a look?

Also, to be clear, both of you already have had Brave installed before this behavior right? This isn’t your first time installing the browser?

Have used right up until about midnite last night, then it just crashed.

No, Ive had the browser for about a year till 3 months ago when it just started crashing

1 Like

Try to go to C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application
and rename brave.exe to something other like bravesomething.exe, and then relocate all the shortcuts pointing to brave.exe to point to the name you renamed it to, in this case, bravesomething.exe.

I tried it and it worked, but everytime you update, you need to delete the old executable, in this case, bravesomething.exe, and rename the new brave.exe to the same name, bravesomething.exe.
If you rename it to another name, like bravexyz.exe, you will need to relocate the shortcuts again.

@Dumemes , @belizebum ,

TESTING some difficulties with Brave Browser:

Start Brave Browser from the command line; with errors output to a Desktop text file, “brave_console_out.txt”.

Following, are two commands. One for x86 architecture (Program Files (x86)), and one for 64 architecture (Program Files).

Each command is in 4 parts:

Part 1 is the path to the Brave executable (brave.exe)

Part 2 is the flag (--incognito)

Part 3 directs error output (2>) to

Part 4 a file on your Desktop (brave_console_out.txt)

NOTE that the location of opening and closing, plain/simple (not curly/smart) double-quote marks is important, in the following, lengthy commands:

x86 architecture

"C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe" --incognito 2> %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\brave_console_out.txt

64 architecture

"C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe" --incognito 2> %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\brave_console_out.txt

Brave Browser will start and open a New Private Window (because: --incognito flag).

Suggested, that you then visit a simple website or search engine website, and then Exit/Quit Brave Browser; and then, examine the output text file.

If the command is working for you, test again - more Internet activity.

Additional flags to use, for testing; choose any single, or combo, with/without the --incognito flag:

--crash-on-failure
--disable-extensions
--disable-gpu
--enable-leak-detection

–

I put in the command and it said it Couldnt find a specified path

@Dumemes , re your reply 15

I clarified my reply 14 and removed the double-quotes that enclosed Part 4 of the command, on a chance that the combination of an opening double-quote and a percentage symbol, might cause the Part 4 path to fail?

So, if you would please, re-read what I wrote (updated) in my reply 14, and try again, if you wish.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.