Brave Crash after Dark Mode - flags enabled

I followed the directions on this site and changed Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents from ‘Default’ to ‘Enabled’: https://www.howtogeek.com/798929/brave-forced-dark-mode/

After I updated brave://flags Brave crashed and will not reopen. Any page or Brave setting page doesn’t open, it only shows a sad face emoji at the top of the page, nothing else.

Any idea on how to restore without losing my data/bookmarks?

Brave Version (I can’t even see the Brave version, I can’t open settings or anything, it just crashes)

Is there anyone who can help me?

Are you sure you didn’t enable any other flag?
The browser crashing because of Dark Mode sounds unlikely, all it does is to do some ‘inverting’ of colors and that’s it, if not it tells a website to use its native dark mode.

Maybe it was an extension? you can start Brave with --disable-extensions and see if it still crashes.

If not you can try with --no-experiments which will turn off the flags, and you probably can modify them and restart and done.

You can also edit the Local State to find the flags enabled in this part, inside the enabled_labs_experiments.

"browser": { "enabled_labs_experiments": [],

it should be called enable-force-dark, just remove it and preserve the JSON format, so you don’t break the file and it will be re-created.

But again, you should make sure is not an extension or another flag you enabled.

Hi, thanks for your response. I forced Brave quit and restarted it, then it started working, for which I’M so happy and now I can write this message there. The dark mode also seems to be working fine. Thanks for you help.

Well, that’s good.
BTW, In my experience using CIELAB or Enabled with selective inversion of non-image elements works like 100 times better than Default, both seem to do the same job, so you choose either.
Go back to brave://flags/#enable-force-dark and change it, don’t use Default, because it inverts too many stuff it shouldn’t, you will have better dark themes that way and images will not get inverted too often.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.