Brave backup Passwords etc

Hi All.

I’ve gotten a new Macbook and I want to transfer all my Brave browser passwords etc over from my old Macbook to the new one and not entirely sure can this be done?

I’ve enabled sync but this only transfers Bookmarks but I want to transfer passwords, cookies etc to Brave browser on my new Macbook, is this possible?

I’m using macOS Catalina

Hi @Patrick2, Welcome to Community!
Sync is temporarily disabled is for a reason.

I would recommend you navigate to:
/Users/**YOUR-NAME**/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser
in that folder there should be a folder called Default, this is you main profile, it holds all your info, bookmarks, extensions, etc.
I would recommend you copy that folder and replace the Default folder on your new mac with the old one.

Hi Aa-ron.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately a mix results. I got the cookies but no passwords

When I open Brave settings I get the message:

“Some settings were reset
Brave detected that some of the settings were corrupted by another program and reset them to their original defaults”
I get 2 options “OK” or “Reset all settings to default” I press Ok

I go to passwords section and no saved passwords

you can export your passwords

1 Like

@Patrick2,
As @JohnDproof said, go to brave://settings/passwords and try exporting passwords.

Thank you John and Aa-ron

Not sure how I missed that.

Unfortunately it’s not working as I hope.

If you do a clean install of Brave, you can import the passwords and it works fine but if you copy “Default” folder from the older Macbook and copy and replace the Default folder in the new Macbook, all the IP’s within the Password section move down to the “Never Saved” section and all the passwords are gone and I still get this:

“Some settings were reset
Brave detected that some of the settings were corrupted by another program and reset them to their original defaults”
I get 2 options “OK” or “Reset all settings to default” I press Ok

It be nice to get the cookies but im not sure is it possible to get :frowning:

I also using [Version 1.7.98 Chromium: 81.0.4044.113 (Official Build) (64-bit) on both Macbooks

Im thinking maybe I can get around this by getting the bookmarks via sync, the passwords via the exported CSV file but is there any particular file in the Default folder that controls cookies?

then i think the best thing to do is uninstall the brave browser from the new mac, make a new clean installation (without the default folder fro the previous browsers) and do an import of the passwords, bookmarks from the old mac, and for the cookies… well you only need to visit the sites again :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.