Brave auto-contribute stuck at Prepare step

Can anyone explain to me why it seems like auto-contribute is failing to send my BAT to all the recipients? As you can see in the screenshot of my brave://rewards-internals below, it looks like BAT has been sent to only a few of the recipients and others have gotten zero. It’s stuck at the Prepare step and Retry Count keeps going up.

Also, when I total all of the Total amount's they seem to be over the amount of BAT that has been auto-contributed? This is very confusing.

If anyone can clarify this for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Hello @urbenlegend

if i got it right i think it’s bug related to float number calculation

as you know it’s weekend so response from the team will be slow till monday

and have a nice day

2 Likes

Has their been a bug filed? Do you have the link?

1 Like

idk but if that issue are not related to any configuration you have then most probably it related to float number calculation as it lead to madness if not handled correctly

so we have to wait tell we get response from one of the team

and have a nice day

1 Like

Wow, this appears to be happening across ALL of my devices that have auto-contribute enabled. Can anyone from Brave answer this?

1 Like

let me call someone from the team @Mattches

could you help us here and have a nice day both of you

1 Like

@urbenlegend,
Are all the sites/channels you’re contributing to Brave verified? If they’re not, this may be the reflection in the Contributions tab that you’re seeing.

1 Like

@justsomeone1 Thanks!

@Mattches The ones listed in the image I posted are all brave verified. I also unchecked “Show non-verified sites in list” in the auto-contribute settings, but I haven’t been able to get a clear answer as to whether that prevents contributing to non-verified sites or simply prevents non-verified sites from showing up in the list.

1 Like

you welcome @urbenlegend

1 Like

@Mattches Oh great, I toggled Ads off and on to test if I still got Sponsored Images and now my auto-contribution has stopped retrying even though Rewards is back on. Step now shows Rewards was turned off.

I would like some straight answers to the following questions:

1. What will happen to my 1.25 BAT that is now stuck in limbo? Will I get them back? Will Brave retry sending the BAT to the intended recipients?
  2. All those sites in the image above are Brave-verified. How come some of them are getting zero BAT?
  3. What is happening when Step is in Prepare state? What is it retrying?
  4. Does auto-contribute still contribute to non-verified sites even though I uncheck Show non-verified sites in list?

There’s a lot of issues here and it makes BAT seem kinda sketch. I’ve been having a hard time finding answers to these questions in these forums…

1 Like

@urbenlegend.

1. The BAT in “limbo” will return to your wallet. The browser will retry for 90 days and if the site(s) in question is not verified within that time, funds “reappear” in your browser wallet.
  2. They are getting BAT because it appears that you had set those sites to receive AC funds, but then subsequently turned Rewards “off”/disabled before the contributions were processed. This halted the contributions which is why those sites show 0.
  3. Any Step is simply the state the contribution/system is going through and they all roughly describe themselves accurately. A full list of all Steps can be seen here.
  4. The browser will only attempt to send tipped BAT to verified sites – Auto-contribute should not attempt to send any funds to sites that are unverified. The browser will Retry (as we learned above) to send that BAT tip to the sites in the event that they do become verified. If not, those funds will be “returned” to you once retries are complete/unsuccessful (see #1).
1 Like

Thank you for your responses @Mattches

The browser will retry for 90 days and if the site(s) in question is not verified within that time, funds “reappear” in your browser wallet.

All those sites ARE verified though. You can double check those sites for yourself. For example, washingtonpost.com is verified, but it received 0 BAT.

but then subsequently turned Rewards “off”/disabled before the contributions were processed. This halted the contributions which is why those sites show 0 .

No those sites were showing 0 before I turned rewards off. See my first image in the original post. You can see that Retry Count: 720 and Step: Prepare are shown, and at the same time some of the sites have a contributed value of 0.

The browser will only attempt to send tipped BAT to verified sites

I am confused. Do you mean unverified?

Auto-contribute should not attempt to send any funds to sites that are unverified. The browser will Retry (as we learned above) to send that BAT tip to the sites in the event that they do become verified.

I have never tipped at all. I’ve only used auto-contribute. The images shown are my AC contributions. Why is Brave retrying when all those sites are verified?

One more question, since my contribution is now stopped because I turned off rewards in the middle of it, will I still get that BAT back even though its no longer retrying?

Anybody? @Mattches @steeven ?

@Mattches @steeven
It’s been almost a week and I have not gotten adequate responses to my questions. Not gonna lie, I am starting to get frustrated like many other Brave users here from the lack of decent responses from support staff, the lack of decent documentation regarding BAT earnings, etc.

I did some more digging. Apparently, there’s a difference between being a Brave Verified Creator and being a Brave Verified Creator with a verified Uphold account, at least according to this GitHub issue..

Now here’s what I can parse between what @Mattches has said and what I’ve read in the GitHub:

1. AC will attempt to contribute to only Brave Verified sites.
  2. However, quite a few Brave Verified sites are not Uphold-verified. You can check using the Android version of Brave. It has an extra message saying This Brave Verified Creator has not configured his account to receive contributions... which for some reason is NOT present on the desktop version of Brave, leading to my initial confusion.
  3. My guess is that @Mattches was referring to Brave Verified Sites with Uphold verification.
  4. Brave will retry sending BAT to Brave Verified creators who have not setup an Uphold account. It will give up in 90 days.

Now, with that out of the way, let’s go back to my original problem. Yes, while all those sites listed in my original image are Brave-verified, some are not Uphold-verified. However, some of the sites are Uphold-verified and have zero BAT contributed to them. For example, washingtonpost.com and wikipedia.com are Uphold-verified and yet they have received zero BAT.

What @Mattches brought up in point #2 of his post is wrong. They are not zero because I turned off Rewards. They were zero even before that. In my original image, you can see that
Brave has retried 720 times and yet sites that are Brave-verified and Uphold-verified have gotten zero BAT. If you want proof, here’s a screenshot of my Android device that is up to 9020 retries and yet a majority of those sites still have received nothing!

It is seriously concerning to me when I see sites that I use a lot not getting their proper BAT allowance. With the lack of responses and a bunch of community members complaining about lack of responses, I can only assume that something sketchy is going on. I am tempted to turn BAT off completely.

@urbenlegend,
Let me reach out to some Rewards team members to see if they can shed light on the issues you’re having.

However, I will say that

:point_up: This is available in the desktop version. Further, while most verified sites do have verified Uphold accounts, there are instances in which (for whatever reason) a verified publisher does not have a verified Uphold account (perhaps their KYC didn’t go through or they are in the process of changing account information, etc). That said, the site will still show as verified.

Simply put: a verified site will appear as verified and is not affected by the Uphold account of that publisher. Additionally, below are two images of a site that is verified vs unverified as they appear in the Rewards panel:

Thank you. I really appreciate it. I like Brave, I believe in the BAT model, but I just want some info to back up my faith in it, especially when I see inconsistencies like this. :sweat_smile:

I do see the notification for non-Brave verified sites. I don’t see the notification for Brave-verified sites that aren’t Uphold-verified. The message is different. It will say This Brave-verified creator has not configured his account to receive contributions. I was seeing this on Android but not seeing it on PC for the same sites.

EDIT: Okay…hmm. That’s odd. I accepted my BAT payout today on Android and after I did that, all the sites that said they were Brave-verified but not Uphold-verified previously are now saying they’re completely verified…what is going on? I am so confused. Maybe the Android app glitched out? That would explain why I was seeing the This Brave-verified creator has not configured his account to receive contributions message on many sites on Android and not seeing them on PC.

@Mattches @steeven

Any update on this? It happened again this month, except more sites were paid this time at least.

Both washingtonpost.com and wikipedia.org are not getting any BAT contributed to them. I use those sites a lot and I really want them to get some BAT.

Also, AGAIN, why is the target contribution amount more than I have available in my wallet? If you add up the total amounts under each site, they total 8.3 BAT which is over the 7.25 BAT that’s in my wallet…

@urbenlegend,
Apologies for the late reply – I’ll be opening an internal ticket for our Rewards devs to review here. Note that we may need some user-level debugging from you once the team takes a look, if you’re willing.

Absolutely, happy to help.

1 Like

@urbenlegend,
Much appreciated – I will reply here as soon as I have more information/next steps :+1:

1 Like