Brave Android high background battery usage on Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
Brave Android high background battery usage. The latest is showing 4:38m active usage and 9:53 background usage. Allow background activity is also restricted.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Use Brave
  2. Check battery usage

Expected result:

I have put app to sleep checked, so I’d expect no background usage.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.50.114, Chromium 112.0.5615.49

Mobile Device details
Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Additional Information:

@Mattches , do you have any idea why this may be happening?

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out.
It is likely Ads (if enabled) that is running in the background. When you have the background activity restricted, where in the system settings are you configuring it?

@Mattches , I have ads disabled.

Settings - Apps - Brave - Battery - Sett Allow background activity off (Restricted)

@prebrook,
Sorry to leave you hanging here.
Can I ask you to test the Nightly or Beta build of the browser and tell me if you get the same behavior/resource usage?

@Mattches , sure. Installing it now.

@Mattches , the beta build actually seems worse. 28m active and 2 hours 47 minutes background. It’s also logging me out from websites after a few hours.

1 Like

Thank you for checking — will report this to the devs.

commenting to keep this alive

@prebrook,
Devs are unclear on why you’re seeing the resource usage that you’re seeing. I’m wondering if it might be a specific site(s) that you’re on? If you close all your tabs do you still see similar usage?

@Mattches , I will have to monitor that a little more closely, but even if the site is causing the usage, I would think that disabling background usage would disable background usage. Not sure if that would be a Brave problem or an Android problem though. I’ll have to see if it is happening with other apps I have background usage set to off for.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.