Bookmarks is gone

Description of the issue: I am a brave user for some time now and today i opened brave browser and ALL my bookmarks were missing, i’m using ease US data recovery and i have found a bookmark file but its a bit strange its bookmark.bookmark or something like that. Please someone help me i had 100s of bookmarks all in order inside of folders all organized took me a FLIPING YEAR to put everything in order please help me
How can this issue be reproduced? maybe

1. yesterday i shutdown my computer maybe brave was open i’m not sure
  2. i wans’t working on any bookmark

Expected result:

Brave Version( Version 1.12.114 Chromium: 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)):

Additional Information: i don’t have any profile

@artimmy,
Do you have Brave Sync enabled at his time? Additionally, are you saying that you do have a backup of the bookmarks available on your machine?

You mean if i have sync configured and all? No. Or you mean if i can see this option on my browser? Yes.

No i do NOT have bookmarks backup.

what i have is a file (i used a program called easeUS data recovery tool to try and see if could rescue a file o the bookmarks but its kinda corrupted tho) called bookmarks, from the default user directory, it seams to have some data in it, but, its not in JSON format anymore.

@artimmy,
Do you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time? Additionally, were your bookmarks the only thing that disappeared or was other browsing data lost as well?

Yes i DO have extensions installed: Kaspersky, Json viewer, Authy, FireShot and Browse.
-----------------------
Yes, so far i’m only missing bookmarks.

@artimmy,
Would you mind trying a test – simply disable your extensions (temporarily) and relaunch the browser to see if one of them may have been interfering with bookmark data retrieval.

Didn’t work, but i don’t think it was extensions, they ere working fine yesterday.

@artimmy do you by chance have multiple profiles? There have been times where I have accidentally created a new profile. If you have multiple profiles, you’ll have an icon in the top right of the window next to the 3 lines hamburger menu. From there, you can see the other profiles.

If that is what happened, you can also delete the accidentally created profile

1 Like

No mate, no such icon appear, i don’t have another profile, in fact, i didn’t even created one, i use the “default” one.

I lost all of my pinned top sites a week ago, too. Checked all of the usual settings/places…nothing changed. Seems like a bug in the system, probably connected to a Window 10 update.

Same thing happened to me the day after i lost ALL my bookmarks.