Autoplay is no longer blocked

Description of the issue:
Suddenly Brave Desktop on Windows 10 no longer blocks autoplay nor am I prompted where a site should autoplay. Autoplay appears to be blocked when I manually add a site under site setting > autoplay, but I am no longer prompted on any site.

This was operating as expected on multiple devices. This behavior changes over the past couple updates. Version listed below was from an update today so previous release was affected as well. The Android version appears to work correctly so this appears to be specific to Desktop (Win 10) version.

How can this issue be reproduced?
Just go to a site with an autoplay video.

Expected result:
That I would be prompted whether to autoplay videos or not and be able add site to block list. This had been my experience previously. I understand some sites can circumvent this block, but this appears to affect site universally now.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.8.96 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

@umbrae,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I went to test and it looks like I can reproduce this pretty easily – both on Windows and macOS:

I know we’ve made some changes to to Autoplay behavior recently so there’s a chance something got messed up in the process.

I’ve reached out to the team and asked the devs to take a look – will reply when I have more information.

2 Likes

@umbrae,
Looks like we actually do have this logged and the team is already working on the issue:

3 Likes

Thank you! Glad it’s in the queue.

I didn’t think to check the Git since report a bug pointed me here.

1 Like