Automatically Switch to New Tab When Opening Link

Go to Google home page (Google.com).
Lower Right/Settings/Search Settings/Open each selected result in a new browser window.

Done.

I donā€™t use Google searchā€¦ I use DuckDuckGoā€¦

Absolutely agree with you, Brave must have this function asap.
I also need this.

1 Like

All that alt+click sh*t is just fine and dandy on a pc or Mac but impossible on an android phone from where I lurk. AutoSwitch to new tabs would definitely make life a little less annoying. Prob switch to a new browser if this option isnā€™t implemented within the next couple of updates. I hate to do that bcuz I actually like this browser otherwise. Might have to go back to dolphin browser.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this problem. Am shifting over from Maxthon, and getting driven nuts every time I search for something and instantly lose my previous page. The settings change in Google is fine, but you have to be on a Google search page for it to work, so it has no effect on a search directly from the browser. This has been going on for a while now, but no progressā€¦ Any chance?

Thank you so much Asad. I went looking for information about this topic
on 2021-05-21 (YYYY-MM-DD), and I was so happy to read your great
revelation about the mouse-wheel-click.

I realize that not everyone uses a mouse with a scroll-wheel. But I do. So
I tried out your suggestion and I was so excited to find out that it works.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I too would like to see the option to go to the new tab when using Right Click - Open In New Tab.
Kinda silly otherwise.

It seems there is not yet (June 2021) a settings option to Automatically Switch To New Tab When Opened in Brave on MACOS/.
Neither Middle mouse click nor Right click work on my system. Although ,command shift click, does work it is not intuitive,
This useful feature is available on other browsers. I understand there is an extension- ā€˜tab activateā€™ but it comes with a security warning (which I cannot understand but it does discourage me from trying it).

It seems like the Brave developers do not care , they couldnt be bothered adding a simple feature like this .

1 Like

If Iā€™m doing a search and want to click on different links I would love it to just automatically open in new tabs so I donā€™t have to keep clicking the back button to get back to the search. It should be so simple. Every other browser has this capability but Brave. Please advise when this can become an option.

2 Likes

So I found out that you can have links open in new tabs after clicking on them if you are using DuckDuckGo as your default engine. Just go to duckduckgo.com, click the 3 bar icon at the top right, and click all settings. You should then see a setting called ā€œOpen Links in a New Tabā€, Turn that on, and now all links you click on after searching will open in a new tab. Cheers!

2 Likes

I use ixquick.com This is a basic option that never shouldā€™ve been removed. Based on the brave devs lack of action it seems like they donā€™t care. I will use edge sadly until they fix this its rediculous.

@phoneman2022 ,

https://support.startpage.com/index.php?/en/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1175/25/why-do-you-no-longer-offer-the-ixquick-search-engine

Even when I change it to start page or any other home page the same behavior is observed.

THIS IS THE ANSWER! Finally! Thank you for this. Geesh, youā€™d think Brave would make it easy for us.

To anyone still looking for a solution about this hereā€™s what I found out. For me, I have duck duck go, and opening a new tab when clicking on a link works which is great. But on specific websites with their own links like my schools support page for example, clicking a link will just replace your current tab, which is just annoying.

Suprised to see brave doesnā€™t have a simple feature like the browsers do to just toggle on/off that but wtvr, for now now though, if you want all links anywhere to open new tab automatically, use this extension. https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/open-in-new-tab/cplillmhmcegjlhcbedmgmalbgjpmlkh

You just have to turn it on for each website once and itā€™ll remember it from then on and the entire website will open in new tabs.

However, this extension will open the new tabā€™s in focus.
I want to know if anyone has found a setting/extension to make it exactly like @esj318 was saying. Sometimes Iā€™d want it so that it it opens a new tab, but the focus still stays on the parent tab.

This is interesting because for for me when I ā€œright clickā€ on my macos and then choose ā€œopen link in new tabā€, it will make a new tab but keep the focus on the original. But the extension I got makes it so it changes focus to new tab.

There needs to be an extension that can do what your saying but on any website.(not just search engine settings)

For anyone still struggling with this, this link:

suggests using Shift+Middle-click, which works for me, or there is an extension called ā€œTabs to the Frontā€ available in the Chrome Web Store at this link:

which also works for me.

How has Brave not added this feature yet? Itā€™s incredibly annoying when using Brave Search (or any other search engine) to open a link in a new tab and not immediately go to it. Using this browser for work can be cumbersome and is big reason I use Vivaldi as my work browser.