Auto-update on V 0.56.14 AMD64 (Win10) appears to not be working

Description of the issue:

Picking up the recent news of CVE-2019-5786, I looked at my Brave installation at brave://settings/help to confirm relevant updates had happened automatically as per github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/3546. Was surprised to see automatic update had not happened and was also not being picked up.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Start up new Brave instance.
  2. Go to brave settings (brave://settings/help) to check current running version.
  3. See “Checking for updates…” message running, which subsequently indicates that “Brave is up to date”.
  4. Details of my current version are shown as follows for my Windows 10 machine: Version 0.56.14 Chromium 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build (64-bit).

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Expected to see version v0.60.48 or at least for the Checking updates… method to pick up that it’s out of date and then start the download and upgrade process.

Reproduces how often:

Consistent. No changes after rebooting machine and starting a new browser session. Have manually confirmed there are no stale brave processes hanging around on machine including Google Chrome processes (as I have both browsers installed).

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

V 0.56.14 Chromium 70.0.3538.

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

No. But then this is the latest release so I wouldn’t expect there to be updates.

Additional Information:

I had to manually download and install the latest Brave from https://brave-browser-downloads.s3.brave.com/latest/BraveBrowserSetup.exe to get the updated version. I have seen the automatic updates happen correctly in the past so it may be that the upgrade process is intact but that the mechanism for checking is broken or pointed in the wrong direction. Am happy to provide debug logs if pointed to their location (bearing in mind that I am now running v0.60.48 after my manual upgrade as described above).

To follow up, I uninstalled v0.60.48 and did a manual down-grade using the stand alone installer for v0.56.14. Repeating my steps before, the new version was immediately picked up and v0.60.48 downloaded.

So it’s not immediately clear why I was receiving false positives on my updates before. The process is however working for me again. Would consider this an anomaly, while concerning, should probably be closed.

cc @sriram @kamil on this.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.