Brave browser on my Windows 10, 64-bit didn’t get any update for almost 2 months. The last update version I got was v1.5.113, which I see was released on March 19, 2020. Whenever I checked for an update from within the browser, it always said I am up-to-date. Becoming curious and wanting to know why I haven’t seen any updates for several weeks, I began to look deeper. It took a little bit of searching to find out the current stable release is “Version 1.8.96 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)” but I am still stuck on v1.5.113. Since I couldn’t get the update from the browser itself, I had to download it from the website. It looks like working. I haven’t noticed anything abnormal. But I have this nagging question as to why the browser stopped updating. I don’t remember experiencing this issue before and I have been using Brave for 2 years now.
Browser on Windows 10, 64-bit machine stopped updating itself
- Check for update from browser menu and “About Brave”
- Browser says “Brave is up to date” (false!)
- The version shown as up to date was released almost 2 months ago.
- Doesn’t show nor does it download the latest version.
- Had to manually download and install the latest version from the website.
The browser should update to the latest stable release version automatically upon checking for update in the browser.
Brave Version( check
Before manually updating: v1.5.113
Version downloaded and currently installed: v1.8.96
Would like to know what could have caused the auto update from happening. Don’t want to be vulnerable to security holes or other issues by not having the updates when they are available. Don’t cherish the idea of updating manually every future release if this issue continues.