Auto contribute doesn't push my contributions monthly since January stating lack of funds but wallet has plenty of funds

Description of the issue:
After a regular use of the Brave browser for the contributing period, websites are correctly added to the auto-contribute list. When the supposed date of contribution arrives, every month the same thing happens and a message appears saying it wasn’t possible to make my contributions due to a lack of funds. I’ve reduced the monthly contribution to the minimum of 20 BAT, I have 60 BAT available and it says it’s not enough. It used to work well on the muon build.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Activate auto-contribute and use the browser for a month.
  2. Check that websites are being added to the list and a percentage attributed to each of them.
  3. When “Next contribution date” arrives, laptop is on so that contribution can be made.
  4. A message appears saying not enough funds available and another month is added to the “Next contribution date” field.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
The list of websites is reset and empty and a new contribution period starts from scratch with the same balance available. I keep receiving token grants once in a while.

Expected result:
Available balance should be decreased by my contribution amount and those tokens should be attributed to the designated creators I’m contributing towards.

Reproduces how often:
Every month since the move from Muon to Chromium.

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 0.61.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes.

Additional Information:
Tipping content creators works well, at least in reducing my available balance. I obviously have no way of confirming they are getting my tips or not.

2 Likes

Hey @chriscat, can you or someone else have a look at this? I think I put a bit of effort in explaining everything clearly and in the right way, it would be cool to at least have the issue acknowledged. Thank you.

Hi @filipebet

I think you might be experiencing this issue: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/3640

Unfortunately it doesn’t happen for everyone consistently, but the team is aware and looking into it.

Thanks,
Lauren

1 Like

Thank you @LaurenWags. I’ll keep following it. Let’s see how it goes in a month.

Cheers

1 Like

I have been experiencing this issue on two computers since 2018.

Currently running:
Version 0.61.52 Chromium: 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
on Windows 10 Pro

Any updates on this? I am also experiencing these symptoms, and it looks like I’m about to miss my 4th consecutive month (on 2 different computers). Also, as the 90 day expirations pass, I assume I’m also losing all of the BAT that I had claimed, so it’s never going to be able to catch up with the missed distributions.

I still have 12 days to wait, but I’ll report back once the time comes.

IIRC, this issue should have been fixed in the update to v0.62.50 (released yesterday)

2 Likes

It told me yesterday that I had insufficient funds, but I’m on v0.62.50 now, so the browser update may have been released after the warning message. Distribution scheduled for Saturday, so I guess I’ll find out then.

Don’t close this topic. The problem still exists ar at least it still exists for me. I have current version and have tried to reinstall. Problem remains.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought the topic wouldn’t close while having regular comments. If it does, I’ll open a new one just before the end date and leave a link to the other one on both of them.

2 Likes

@filipebet, appreciate the assistance. The topic autocloses in two weeks but I will make sure it stays open until the issue is resolved.

@grabe,
Can you share a screenshot of the error message as it’s displayed on your end?

2 Likes

When https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/3640 was logged it was thought that this was a single issue. However, after discussing with Dev, a subsequent issue - https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/3897 was logged.

From my understanding, issue 3640 handled the extra (unnecessary) insufficient funds notification and 3897 adds a balance check prior to monthly auto contribute. Hopefully this extra check will resolve the inability to contribute.

3 Likes

There is no error message. No matter what I browse, nothing appears in the panel of the Rewards page - auto-contribute - that lists the sites visited and the % of time. This is a recent issue. I was away from my open for a couple of months and when I returned the browser has problems. I assume this has something to do with the new month as an inactive computer should not have been a problem.

My version of Brave also claims I have not BAT available to award the sites I visit - this is a different issue, but it appears to have happened to others as well.

I use a iMac with current OS.

Nope. Got another “insufficient funds” notification. Apparently, it has not been fixed.

So, it is also happening on my android browser. A different wallet, 25 BAT balance and 20 BAT for contribution. The same message of insufficient funds appeared. It seems to be much more generalized than I thought in the beginning.

1 Like

I just noticed that the same problem was reported in a closed post that can be found here:

@notbilly @valhar2000 @segbert @dougsandlin @psm @stevej4 @JohnB @rdiaz can you report on the current status of your situation?

1 Like

My next payment date is May 3rd - I will try and remember to post an update as the date approaches the next payment date. From what I can gather, this is supposed to be fixed in Version 0.62 according to @LaurenWags so I’m not expecting any changes until that version is released.

edit: spelling

1 Like

It’s still happening.

1 Like

I too am getting the insufficient funds notice. But have 175.0 BAT in wallet.
Brave version indicates:
Brave is up to date
Version 0.62.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like