Always open bookmarks in a new tab

When I open a bookmark, I never want to overwrite the tab I’m on. Yes, I know it can be opened in a new tab with middle click but I shouldn’t have to remember to. I’ve been doing this in Firefox for almost two decades, using extensions (such as tab mix plus) or more recently about:config settings. Honestly I don’t even understand why someone would want your bookmarks to open in the current tab. To me it’s like editing a document in Word, then when you open Calculator from the start menu Word goes away (and possibly loses what you were working on), but that’s the default that Chrome and all its descendants have gone for and it’s extremely frustrating. I’d also like this to apply to the URL bar, but I suspect that would be more work. Heck, I’d settle for a tweak to the WE API to let an add-on do the work.

I couldn’t agree more!
Bookmarks are a special case, to me. I have Google Search set to open search links in a new tab and I would expect to be able to configure Bookmarks and Address bar URLs to open in new tabs as well.

I’ve been searching for years for a Chromium extension that will simply let me manage my Tab opening, etc like TabMixPlus did for Firefox.

3 Likes

I am just migrating from Fire Fox and this is definitely a feature that I would like to see in Brave web browser.

1 Like

It makes specially sense for fixed tabs as current behaviour can override the content of a fixed tab and feels kind of wrong for a fixed tab to lose its content from an action outside said tab.

1 Like

I have been searching and searching. Why is this such a complicated feature to allow? This is ridiculous! Part of why I went back to Firefox in the first place from all of the others. This and other much easier user mods that could be accomplished. This is not a new request either. I have found them from YEARS back and still no changes. About to leave this browser. Privacy or not. I can modify Firefox to be just as private and have A TON more options. I really am trying to like this browser platform, but keep running into things that chase me right back to my good ol’ reliable browser.

Hi, many years Firefox user here. I definitely miss this function. No planing to add it?

1 Like

I don’t understand why none of the Chromium-based browsers can provide this feature. Using Firefox for years and have always been able to open a bookmark, and also what is typed into the address bar, automatically in a new tab without having to press a different mouse button or use the context menu. Why would I want to overwrite my current tab every time? Brave seems pretty good and I like it, but I will never move away from Firefox until this facility is available. In fact something like this facility is available through using the Quick Bookmarks Menu add-on for Chrome - that at least allows me to open bookmarks in a new tab using just a single left mouse click. It doesn’t solve the address bar question, though, although that is of lesser importance to me and in any case should be a native option.

I’m assuming you’re all talking about bookmarks on the Bookmarks bar — not in the ones in the manager. I will go ahead and ping the devs on maybe getting this feature implemented. That being said, the easiest way to do this in the meantime would be to Ctrl + click (or Cmd + Click for macOS users) on the link:

1 Like

Yes, in the bookmarks bar … as a user option. Although in manager too would be a good idea. I know I can do cntl and click, thanks, but I just want to be able to do this with a normal left click. Those who don’t want to do this would have the option turned off.

It already works this way in manager when you double-click the bookmark. I’ll ask some devs about this and point them to this thread.

Thank you. Also when pressing after typing into the address bar - again, why would I want to overwrite what is in my current tab?

I absolutely agree. It is incredible that no ergonomist never spotted (except the tabmixplus author that we should construct a memorial) that save a two hands action (ctrl+click) or a three/two finger action (middle click emulation on laptop) for opening bookmark will save hours at the and of a year.

1 Like

I’d love to see this feature implemented as well.

Also while we are at it how about new tabs opening next to the current one and when that tab is closed the tab next to it is brought to the fore?

Thanks!

I’d love to see this feature implemented as well.
I have been using firefox for many years now. So this was hard to not have this feature implemented :frowning:
And please make the font size smaller on the bookmark bar and in the sidebar please, or a way we can change that under settings :slight_smile:

I do want pretty badly to go to brave from ffox, but this sorry to say is a deal breaker for now. I want to be able to just click one of my bookmarks and it opens in a new tab like it does in ffox using an addon. Do I have to come down there and figure out how to do it and do it myself for you?

I’m sure you could create a Pull Request for the feature. It’s open source.

It’s been 2 years since I first installed the Brave browser, and because there is no option to open bookmarks in a new tab, I’m leaving the Brave browser and going back to Mozilla. Every time. I read, search for a solution, and can’t find one. I wonder why the Brave team simply didn’t create an option to open bookmarks in a new tab. You are driving away your customers; we are switching from Brave to Mozilla just because we are used to working this way and want to continue working the same way in Brave. Today, I decided again to migrate from Mozilla to Brave, but after about 2 hours of searching and reading, I don’t have the patience, and I’m permanently returning to Mozilla Firefox. Either you’re not good programmers or you’re too dumb to make a simple function for so many years.
GOODBYE BRAVE

As @Tibbs stated — you’re more than welcome to do so, we are open source.

I can go ahead and submit a request for this feature, but I’m not convinced that it will be prioritized very highly.

Just to reiterate, you can currently open your bookmarks in a new tab by:

• Click on the bookmark using the mouse-wheel click option, if your mouse supports it
  • Holding Ctrl (Command on macOS) and clicking on a bookmark
  • Right-clicking on the bookmark, then Open in new tab

That is really missing the point, I think. todsave wants to be able to open a bookmark automatically in a new tab with a single left click, and that seems to me to be a reasonable expectation. It is the main reason why I, too, stick with Firefox, since it allows this as an option.

Your solution, on the other hand involves either a two step action or clicking the mousewheel. Both of these of course work but you have to do something different from a normal left click. Why is it so hard for Brave and other browsers to provide this option? If you don’t like it, you don’t have to set it.

There is, though, an add-on “Quick Bookmarks Menu” which does allow this as an option, so all is not lost, I guess - I wonder how the add-on does it?

Wilf

Not missing the point, it’s pretty clear. All I’m trying to say is that it is a fairly niche request which is why only one browser (that I know of) offers such a feature and as such it likely will take a long time to make its way into the browser, if at all.

That said, here is the feature request I opened for it here:

If anyone who wants this feature feels strongly about it, I would recommend leaving a comment on the Github issue to let the devs know that there is demand for it.

Thank you