All My webpages are in dark mode

So i was using brave, surfing through all my usual sites, gmail, youtube, spotify and so on, and i closed the browser when i went for lunch. After coming back i went to gmail and everything was black, the animation was black and i thought that it would’ve been an update from google’s side.

But on further examination, few of my buttons were not showing up, they were the same color as my background and I still have them as the same. So i thought it might be a google services only bug. But then i went to open.spotify.com and my pause and play buttons were looking the same too. So to cross verify i tried instagram.com and it was black too.

Then i reset all my brave settings, restarted my laptop but to no avail, i still am stuck with a constant dark mode. Apparently, all my white buttons or backgrounds are switching to black.

Steps:
No steps, i just started the browser and went to a website

Screenshots:

Instagram:

Spotify:

Gmail:

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 7.02.32 PM

Brave Community Page:

Expected Result:

These screenshots were taken on Google Chrome.

Gmail:

Spotify:

Brave Community:

I want my websites to go back to normal.

Frequency of the issue:

The issue is constant, no matter how many times i refersh and restart it won’t go away.

Operating System: MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
Brave Version: Version 1.27.108 Chromium: 92.0.4515.107 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:

• I tried other browsers, Safari, Chrome, but they didn’t show the same response as brave did and it loaded my websites in my normal.
  • It started happening today 24th July 2021, around 1:00 PM IST.
  • Before i launched brave today, i got a pop up message from my OS, “Verifying brave” and then it launched brave.
  • I’ve got Youtube and Google back to my normal, i just had to find the "use dark mode on those respective websites, whereas it didn’t happen on the other websites as they don’t have such a feature.
  • I had an extention called Night Eye but it was on the “Only when i click mode”, i removed it later on and tried again but i couldn’t seem to remove the dark mode.

It would be great if i could get some help! Thanks!

Do you mind clearing cookies and cache?

Yep tried it, didn’t work, thanks though!

All right, check whether a fresh user profile will have the same issues:

Have you enabled any flags via brave://flags recently?

Hey! Thanks for reaching out again, i tried making a new profile and logged into my accounts but it was the same.

BUT, i do remember messing around with brave://flags a while back and YES it was the Force Dark Mode for Web Contents that was causing the issue. I switched it back to Deafault and now everything is back to normal. Thanks a ton @Rethanis!

1 Like

Glad to hear your issue is gone, happy browsing :wink:

2 Likes