How to prevent webpages from being rendered in Dark Mode after latest update?

Description of the issue: After I downloaded, installed and updated Brave, all the websites, extensions are being rendered in dark background. Have attached images of the same. Even the Google Docs background has changed making it difficult to edit or type any. There isn’t any theme installed and is the default setting of Brave

Actual Result:
All webpages are being rendered in dark mode with dark backgrounds

Expected Result:
Webpages should load without being rendered in dark mode

Brave Version: Version 1.23.73 Chromium: 90.0.4430.85 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
I’m using macOS Big Sur v 11.2.3

Hey tobinkoshy,

If your settings are default, then your Brave colors in brave://settings/appearance should be set to “Same as macOS”. What are your mac appearance settings set to?

Hi Adrian_02,

The setting is already set as “Same as macOS” and I have enabled dark mode in my system. Have been using with this system past one year. But it was after the latest update, I reflected the webpages.

Can you try this in a new profile?

It’s still the same when I tried from a new profile as well

I just realized that you’re not up-to-date, at least according to your original post. Have you updated the browser since then?

Yes, it’s up-to-date.

Version 1.25.72 Chromium: 91.0.4472.101 (Official Build) (x86_64)

I assume that means you’re still having these issues.

If that is the case, delete the installer, download a new one, and reinstall Brave. Do not uninstall, just close the browser and reinstall it.

I tried downloading and reinstalling Brave but it’s still the same :frowning:

How about downloading Brave Beta or Nightly?

Hey Adrian,

I figured out the issue I was facing today. Someone had enabled an experimental feature called “Force Dark Mode for Web Contents” of Brave under flags section which Automatically renders all web contents using a dark theme.

It had nothing to do with Brave or any of it’s default settings. Apologies for troubling you and thank you for following up with the issue.

1 Like

Ah, it didn’t occur to me to check the flags for this. Glad to hear that it worked.

I’ll keep this thread in mind for later, in case I run into an issue like this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.