After Youtube, Instagram using insane amount of memory usage just after opening the site!

Description of the issue: Instagram using 5-9GB Memory Usage immediately after opening the site making the page unresponsive

Exact URL of the website in question: https://instagram.com/

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no) Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? No

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no): No

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome? Yes

Brave version (check About Brave): v 1.67.134

Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 1.56.34 PM

Instagram has irritated me even more than Youtube by requiring 9GB of RAM upon opening the website in a private or normal window. Tried both shields and extensions enabled and disabled; nothing changed. I also tried using it in Brave Beta, and the problem did not persist there. Although this problem has been present for nearly a month, its frequency wasn’t very high. However, following the most recent update, it has become extremely high! Need to restart the browser every third or fourth time to have a seamless experience for the next ten to fifteen minutes.

Instagram’s memory usage is even higher and faster than Youtube’s. While Youtube’s memory usage stopped at 1.5–2GB when it opened at 500MB, Instagram can reach 4-5GB in less than 10 minutes!

Can you please try disabling Graphics Acceleration in the browser and tell me if this makes any difference? Settings --> System --> Graphics Acceleration

Also worth noting we do have an open issue for this with respect to Youtube:

Hello Phillip Little,

I’ve noticed that Instagram is consuming an unusually high amount of memory, ranging from 5-9GB, just after opening the site, which leads to the page becoming unresponsive. This issue persists even with the default Shields settings and turning Shields off doesn’t help. Interestingly, Instagram works fine on Chrome without any such problems. If you’re facing similar issues, it might be worth checking out honista story background, an alternative Instagram client that offers a more stable experience without the excessive memory usage. You can download it for a smoother, more reliable browsing experience.

Happy Ending!!

Doesn’t make a difference!! Still the same result.
About the Youtube thing, was just making a comparison that how different Instagram is being than Youtube, which was reportedly working to overcome ad-blockers and show us ads which led to maybe the memory issue!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.