Brave using way too much memory despite only having a singular tab open

Hey, I’m writing because even with simply one tab open, Brave is using wayyy too much memory to be justified. I closed all of my other apps to screenshot my Task Manager to show how it usually takes up around 60-80% memory at any given time. I only had one tab open in Brave when I took this screenshot, and it was the Brave community forums:

I have only three extensions as I got rid of all of my other extensions after reading threads on here about how extensions can cause a lot of memory to be used:

and turned off Hardware Acceleration in the settings for the same reason. The memory usage is still a problem and I was wondering if there’s anything else I can do to bring the memory usage back down to anything normal because it makes using any other apps troublesome. I’m using Version 1.35.103 Chromium: 98.0.4758.102.

@Afterskool ,

What the user of a chromium-based Internet browser is supposed to experience, is the result of an aggregate of various processes, operating in the orchestra of the browser as conductor.

Some of the reason for the aggregate, is supposed to be, for the benefit of the surviving processes and the browser user . . . when one of the aggregate, suddenly fails.

The other processes still running, then continue to carry the ball . . . and sometimes, the process that dropped out (failed) . . . is relaunched and rejoins the peformance.

A couple sources online, explaining the working parts:

https://www.chromium.org/developers/memory-usage-backgrounder/

Activity Monitor.app window on a Mac OS machine:

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 12.31.41 AM

Hey @289wk, thank you for your reply and the information you linked. I understand how chromium-based browsers work, but my question is if there’s any other way that I can possibly bring down the memory usage as I feel the amount of memory being used by Brave to run a single tab is way disproportionate. I find it really, really hard to believe that 64% (at, like, the bare minimum) memory usage is appropriate, and was wondering if there are any other ways to bring down that memory usage by Brave. Thank you again for your reply, though : )

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.