Adding Presearch to default search engine options

I would like the Brave team to consider adding the Presearch search engine to the default search options for Android. Here’s a little backstory from Presearch’s site:

Presearch is an open, decentralized search engine that rewards community members with Presearch Tokens for their usage, contribution to, and promotion of the platform.

In a world where one company controls 77% of all searches, influencing trillions of dollars in spending, shaping perceptions and effectively acting as the primary gatekeeper to the Internet, a new, open and community-driven search engine is a necessity.

Presearch has an innovative go-to-market strategy to target the most frequent searchers - web workers - and gain early adoption, on our way to releasing future versions of the open source platform that will utilize a blockchain-based index, curated by the community.

Given the parallel motives and goals of Brave and Presearch, this seems like an ideal match waiting to happen. Specifically worth noting, Presearch boasts:

• Open and transparent ranking factors enable content creators to access a level playing field, and users the choice of which data sources to utilize
  • Community-driven decision-making process ensures that everyone’s interests are aligned, and the best content is surfaced and displayed
  • Ability to vote on and fund dev projects provides ability to influence and improve the platform, and earn tokens for contributing

I truly believe both platforms could benefit from each other, if there was a crossover such as this via Android as, according to an article entitled “Mobile vs Desktop Traffic in 2019” by Eric Enge on the website Stone Temple, “In 2018, 58% of site visits were from mobile devices.” and “Mobile devices made up 42% of total time spent online.” Considering these numbers, not only is it beneficial from a user-first perspective to add as many search engine options as possible on your Android platform, but adding an option that seems to mirror you in a number of ways only makes sense from a synergistic point of view.

2 Likes

I can set Presearch as my default search engine on Brave Browser desktop version. But seems there’s no way to do that on Brave Android?
If it’s really impossible… then, …Why?

Seriously, Brave Team have to make this possible.

6 Likes

Just made the switch to presearch today and am shocked I can’t add it to Android mobile. On another thread they mentioned that engines that support open search appear in recently visited and can be selected. Presearch does not show up. I may post on their community about open search.

2 Likes

I found a way for it to show up as recently searched engines. Go-to https://engine.presearch.org/. Search for something then it shows up and you can select as the default search engine.
A little trickier then just having it available but it is possible in android. I found this trick in the presearch telegram community page

7 Likes

Thanks @bsteimel – this totally worked for me on the desktop version. Cheers!
(@Brave – consider this my +1 for just building Presearch in as a default option)

Yeh, it’s ashame that presearch has been added yet. :frowning:

Thank you. I have Gibiru and 4search & 4conservative Search bookmarked in Android an Desktop.

this worked on my brave browser on my android. Can’t believe how long I’ve been wanting presearch as my default search engine on a mobile browser.

For anyone else on Android in brave browser. Do this:
1 - Go to this link https://engine.presearch.org/
(Login if it’s shows you not logged in because i was already logged in but at that link it showed i wasn’t).

2 - Type anything in the search box

3 - when the results page shows up… just go to brave browser settings and hit search engine

4 - Once in search engine, select standard tab (and private tab after if you want), at the bottom you will see presearch listed (as used for a recent search). And then just select it and now you can use it as your default search engine for any search on your mobile browser.

BIG thanks and a massive hat tip to BSteimel for the hookup.

4 Likes

This worked for me. Only difference was, under Search engine I had to go to manage search engines and through there I could select Presearch as default.

1 Like

What about Gigablast, Gibiru and 4conservative for Brave?

It no longer shows up in recent search engine for me either.

2 Likes

adding it via “engine.presearch.org” does not work for me anymore.
Please brave team: Add Presearch.
Thanky you!

1 Like

IMPORTANT FEATURE REQUEST: CUSTOM SEARCH ENGINES ON ANDROID!

This feature is available on the desktop version and also firefox has it on android.
and to me, the lack of this feature pushes me to migrate to firefox!
please inform me on this feature to come back to lovely brave. thanks.

1 Like

I even comment to boost this request! Very annoying :slight_smile:

1 Like