Youtube now detects the ad blocker

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:

Exact URL of the website in question:

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave:

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Does the ad appear when using a Private window as well? (yes/)

What OS are you using when you see the ad? mac

Brave version (check About Brave): Release Notes v1.60.125 (Nov 29, 2023)

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

So youtube screamed about the ad blocker like everyone here probably experienced. The brave team released an update some days ago, I do not remember when, and somebody said that the fix is in the update, but I still had youtube complaining and blocking me. Somebody claimed deleting their youtube cookies fixed their problem, as these old cookies need to be cleared out to allow the update to work. However, the problem is not just youtube cookies, its GOOGLES cookies.

The fix:
Make sure brave is updated, and clear both youtube and GOOGLES cookies. Make sure you clear everything, so search those keywords in your cookies list.

How do I know:
I cleared youtubes cookies, and it worked until I signed in. When I signed it, it was the automatic cookie based sign in for google accounts, and then youtube was broken again. So I realized it was probably data contained in the google or google accounts related cookies, and it seemed to prevent the malevolent popup and user block from happening.

How long will it work:
Dont know, but that is up to the brave devs

4 Likes

Worked like a charm, thanks!

You hit the nail in the head with that, I should have thought of that before, given the level of scumbag we’re dealing with here.

It works! Thank you!