YouTube no longer working?


YouTube stopped working
I believe this happened since the new recent Brave update

Has anyone else had similar issues with the YouTube site since Brave was updated?

Incidentally, I don’t remember actually selecting to update Brave it must have done so on its own.

  1. I have not changed anything on my end. All the extensions I have always had enabled are enabled.
  2. When I go to the YouTube site it now fails to load and is just a black screen with video placeholders and a blank menu screen to the left.
  3. YouTube works in Chrome and other browsers.

I would expect the Brave browser to still work on YouTube site after update.

Brave Version 1.25.68 Chromium 91.0.4472.77

The extensions I have enabled are:

Bookmark All My Tabs
Extensity
New Tab Redirect
uBlock Origin
Disable HTML5 Autoplay
Grammarly
Google Translate
HTTPS Everywhere
Tab Shuffle
Select and Speak
Logitech Smooth Scrolling
Keywords Everywhere
I Don’t Care About Cookies
Clutter Free
Adblock for YouTube
Block Image - Not active

Youtube seems to be fine on windows here at work for me… Using latest brave… Maybe clearing the cache and/or restarting brave is all that needs doing…

Click on the Shields icon and make sure the “Scripts blocked” option is disabled.

I just cleared my cache and restarted Brave but the YouTube site still doesn’t work for me. I have no idea why.

I also went through and disabled all extensions one by one to see if any were causing the issue and also disabled the shield but it made no difference. YouTube no longer works in my Brave Browser, unfortunately.

This seems to have stopped working since the recent Brave browser update in the last 24 hours which must have installed itself automatically on my computer.

Check if YouTube works normally with a fresh (test) user profile.

1 Like

Hey @john10001 ! Welcome to the community :smiley:

Before trying @Rethanis suggestion, try disabling Hardware acceleration to see if thats causing issues.

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Thank you,

Porridge

1 Like

Hey @john10001

  1. Clearing Cache, cookies, disable all extensions (just to rule out any problem extensions)
  2. chrome://net-internals/#dns → Clear host cache
  3. chrome://net-internals/#sockets → Select Close idle sockets, and click Flush socket pools
  4. Reload Youtube, re-sign in (since clearing cookies)

Disabling hardware acceleration didn’t work.

Creating a new profile worked but doesn’t fix it on my regular profile.

On Fanboynz post I already tried point 1 but that didn’t work.

I followed point 2, 3 and 4 to clear host cache, close idle sockets, flush socket pools, then went to YouTube and it is working again.

Thanks for all the help with this. It looks like I can stay on Brave Broswer which is good.

It looks like YouTube has sadly gone back to the way it was with a blank screen and placeholders.

Unfortunately, as I am not prepared to go through this process every day in order to get YouTube to work which is one of the sites I watch the most, I have no option but to switch back to Chrome for now.

I really hope that Brave developers can make a better and more permanent fix for this as it does seem to be an issue and I can’t be the only one it is happening to.

I don’t think it’s a Brave issue tbh. Are you using a VPN? can you try a clean profile also?

Hi. No I’m not using a VPN. As I mentioned a clean profile does work but it doesn’t solve the issue with my original profile.

Following the process you mentioned above does work however only for 24 hours until YouTube is no longer working again.

I can’t continuously create new profiles to get a major website to work each day I use a browser or to go through the above process of clearing the cache and idle sockets etc every 24 hours. I don’t need to do this in Chrome or any other browser.

I think Brave needs to fix the issue whatever it is because the average user is not going to go through all of these complications just to get a website working every day.

If creating a new profile worked, then the issue is with one or more of the extensions you have installed.

Disable extensions manually here → brave://extensions/

Porridge