Videos cannot play on Crunchyroll when browser is activated

When selecting any episode on Crunchyroll, the page loads in fine. However, the section of the page where the video should load in is blank.

Example:

I’ve tried default shield settings along with messing with the settings all with no avail.

The site works as normal when the shields are down (with adds of course) and with any other browser I’m using.

The same issue persists with the Crunchyroll site on mobile as well.

-Thanks

@Gugan Thanks for reporting, Can you please let us know on which which brave version are you seeing this issue.

I just tried it on Windows 10 x64 - 0.60.48. I am not able to reproduce the issue.

Thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply.

I just checked the browser and I am running the same version as you as it is the one that is most up to date. (The version of Brave I am using on mobile is also the most up to date).

In the screenshot you provided, it looks like you opened a similar video title but in YouTube. The add-block for YouTube works flawlessly but not for the Crunchyroll site.

Have you tried the link I provided in the last message? You should see the error there.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@Gugan @gsarvadnya just tried link from OP and was able to play the video without changing settings in Brave Dev 0.63.4 Chromium: 73.0.3683.67 (Official Build) dev (64-bit) on MacOS 10.14.3, but in Brave Version 0.60.48 Chromium: 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit) on same Mac as well as on Windows 10 10.0.17763 I had to turn Shields Off for the site to get it to play.

@hnktong,
Appreciate the input/testing!
I too can confirm that Crunchyroll works in both Dev and Beta channels but not Release. It’s likely that we’ve already have this fixed and its just moving down the pipeline. Just added it to our Web Compatibility board though, just in case:

1 Like

Update:
Can confirm - just updated to v v0.60.51 and the issue is resolved:

1 Like

Great! How should I update the client? When I go to about Brave, it states my version is up to date at 0.60.48.

2 Likes

:point_up: Update is still “spooling up” - should be released this afternoon!

1 Like

I’ve been having a similar issue but except it’s on the Android version of brave. (I’m on the most recent version as of now)

The videos will not show up (it’s just gray) unless shields or just ad blocker is turned off.

This issue should now be resolved on the Desktop version (v0.61.51). @Gugan, can you test and confirm for me?
@Ria1,
Thanks for letting me know, will test this on Android version here shortly and let you know what I find out.

It works perfectly for PC now. However, unless the app was updated in the past two days, it still will not work for Android.

2 Likes

I updated to the 3/29 update and issue still persists.

@Ria1,
We released an update today to v0.62.50 – make sure you have the latest version (even though this should have been fixed in the previous update). Let me know if it persists after the update. If so, please provide your Operating System used?

I checked the play store and I haven’t seen the update yet. If I see it I’ll download it right away and tell you have it goes. My OS is currently 8.0.0. , Im pretty sure I haven’t updated in a while so that could be the issue.

@Ria1,
Apologies, I forgot that you were using the mobile version.
So, the issue is with Crunchyroll detecting that an ad-blocker is being used and therefore content is not loaded. This did get fixed in the desktop version so I can’t imagine the fix for Android is far behind.

That said, I’ll reach out to the Android team and file an issue if necessary to make sure we get this resolved.

1 Like

Thank you sounds good! I appreciate the help!

1 Like

Filed it anyway – hopefully we can get some dev eyes on this asap.

1 Like

Wonderful! Hopefully some devs notice and are able to fix it, Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.