Updating to latest version

I’m getting errors telling me my browser is out of date (current version is 1.25.72) but the updater won’t function. (error code 7: [0x80072F7D])

I then click “learn more” and I get a page that instructs:

Make a backup copy of all your user data (if desired) by navigating to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\ and copying the User Data folder somewhere

… what does this even mean? How would I navigate to that path? Where is it? I tried putting "`%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser" into the search bar but it thinks I’m Googling. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I keep a copy of the Brave installer on my Windows machines. It will grab the latest version of the browser and update your existing install.

Yes I keep copies of all installers. I could simply uninstall and reinstall but I’m not clear if I would lose any data doing that.

@VOFP
You are literally using a version that was released June 2021

Some people complain about ‘automatic updates’ but this is the reason why, asking support for 1+ year old version not updating or working correctly is just weird. In this case, Everything is too old to be updated by the updater, so it makes sense why it is failing to update.
This is why I install Brave by user (without admin rights) it seems it avoid many issues with Brave and the services and how it is installed in a folder like Program Files that needs more permissions that the %localappdata% one.

But all you can do is download https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/download/v1.44.105/BraveBrowserStandaloneSetup.exe (this is the 64 bits version)

Run it, Install it on top and that’s it, you don’t have to do anything about the user data, it should work fine.

2 Likes

I’ve uninstalled Brave before then reinstalled, and since I didn’t delete the leftover files, I was able to retrieve my data. It depends if you use any kind of data cleaner or delete the Brave folder manually, but there could be a chance you’ll lose things.

If you try it, make sure to either have another computer synced so you can get back onto your data or write the code down and reenter it after reinstallation.

I’ve yet to have an issue with using the install file to update over the top of my Brave install.

1 Like

Well, first I tried just searching out the latest exe file and installed that, but ended up with the same 1.27 version I already had and would not update. Then I tried the link you have here, that install seemed to churn longer but I ended up with an error box saying there was already a newer version installed. Now it wants me to uninstall and reinstall, which is kind of what I was trying to avoid. I’m afraid I don’t know what “having another computer synched” means.

I had no idea Brave wasn’t automatically updating all along or that I had an aging version. Now I can’t seem to change it.

EDIT: After shutting down the program altogether and reopening, now it says I have a 1.44.108 version. I guess (?) that did it and I guess I’ll have to keep checking manually in the future. Thanks all.

1 Like

My guess is that Brave updated to 1.44.108. which means, you already had a newer version, and then trying to install the 105 was causing that issue about the message, then for some reason Brave wasn’t fully restarted and couldn’t finally apply the update, so when you ran the 105 installation again, it said about newer version 108 already installed.

Also, uninstalling and reinstalling Chromium browsers is not a problem, the uninstaller ask you if you want to delete the User Data and that is the only way you can affect your User Data, but only removing the browser will not do anything to your user data folder.
They are individual things, Brave’s job is to read the User Data, doesn’t matter what it is, as long as it is compatible it will work regardless where brave.exe is (there is a zipped version available).
So you could have uninstalled without checking the box to delete the data, reinstall the new version and it would have worked just fine.

Anyway, it is good it worked so let’s hope it keeps getting updated like it should, instead of leaving you with a year+ old version in your computer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.