The Disappearing Bookmark Trick

For the third time, I had to re-import my bookmarks from Chrome. I’m trying to move away from Google, but Brave keep dropping my bookmarks.

I’m using version 1.42.86

I’ve eliminated the sync between my phone and pc to see if that may be the problem.

I’ve used Chrome for years, and Brave now for about a year. I know how to keep, add, delete bookmarks (it’s not a user error).

Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to correct the problem? At this point I’m willing to go back to DDG browser as I didn’t have any support issues with them.

What exactly is happening, ALL bookmarks are going away, or just certain ones?

Any error messages being shown?

What version of Windows?

Is your hard drive potentially running out of space?

Once imported, everything works well for a few weeks to a month. The first time, all of the links disappeared - the folders were still there, but no links.

This morning, 80% of the links were gone; folders still present.

No error messages. Not on my pc or phone (iphone 13).

Windows 10

I have 1T and I’m not even close to being out of space.

Thanks,

Debbie

Do you have any extensions installed and enabled? If so, which ones?

I would try with them disabled for a while. Maybe one of them is causing it.

Worst case scenario, you could create a new profile and use the new profile for a while as it will have its own set of Bookmarks, separate from your default profile. See if the issue follows the browser as a whole, or just the default profile.

I was also thinking of uninstalling the browser and just starting over :woman_shrugging:t3:

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

It does seem like it could be caused by a specific extension, especially if you’ve already tried disabling Sync. I’d definitely like to know what extensions you have installed (if any) and if disabling them resolves the issue or not.

That said that could be frustrating, given that, according to your reply above, it can take up to a month or so for the issue to actually occur.

OneDrive
Adobe
reMarkable
LastPass
Honey

Yes if you’re willing I would still try disabling them to test and see if this fixes the issue? Additionally, right now, do you have your bookmarks available to you (that is, they haven’t disappeared yet)? If so, I would highly recommend exporting them as an HTML file so that if/when the issue occurs again, you can import them in just a few seconds.

To export (or import) your bookmarks:

1. In Brave, Settings --> Bookmarks
  2. Click the “three dots” icon on the right corner of the page
  3. Click Export bookmarks

Repeat the process to import them.

Thanks!

I actually (already had a previously saved a copy of bookmarks ) uninstalled both Chrome and Brave browsers.

It turned out that almost all of the extensions were corrupted :wink:

Now I know. Thanks again!

1 Like

It is the DuckDuckGo browser.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.