Tab hibernation

tab hibernation is very useful when you use persistent sessions and have many tabs opened. as it is now, on browser start all tabs will start loading simultaneously even if you don’t need them at this time, using up bandwidth and contributing to system resource usage.

with tab hibernation available, when starting the browser only the active tab will be loaded, and the rest will wait in hibernation, possibly grayed out to indicate them being hibernating, not loading anything until focused on, saving bandwidth and ram/cpu. a tab that’s left for later (for example daily updates) could also be put manually into hibernation, which will unload it, freeing system resources, waiting until focused on again to load it rather than always having it loaded and active.

1 Like

Following Google removing The Great Suspender from the Chrome Store for it containing malware, I would second this request - I would feel more comfortable with this being a feature built into the browser and it would match the feature provided in other Chromium based browsers such as Edge and Vivaldi

Any idea if this option is added now? I guess this can be a key for many users for opt to this browser.

Still not added… That’s a bummer.

Vivaldi has it.

1 Like

This feature is important. Having lots of tabs opened takes a lot of system resources, and sometimes we have tabs opened for later etc

What’s the purpose of leaving a lot of tabs open? I mean, you’re basically leaving open as a Bookmark you end up switching to. And you can set multiple bookmarks to open at the same time. I really do fail to understand the usefulness here?

there seems to be a similar feature in brave “brave://discards/”. Anyways if you’re researching something, you have multiple windows on different monitors with about 10+ tabs each, or just trying to find something, you’ll usually end up using a lot of system resources (depending on the websites)

This is actually a well done Flag. Which is under development. I use it because I work with several heavy pages that consume a lot of RAM and CPU.

How to access the Flags:
Brave://flags

The Flag in question is the second one, the first one is in case you use a Laptop, as in my case, and you can choose the sleep time.

After activating the Flags that you will use. In configuration, and in the Menu you will find the option of Performance.

Sample images.

Yes, I use a translator xd, as I am not a native English speaker. I hope it helped you, and that soon they will be available by default in the Browser.

Thanks! It works well enough for me.

Edit : it doesn’t allow me to hibernate a specific tab, which is a bummer.

Microsoft Edge’s solution of real sleeping tabs is still more superior than the option Brave delivers.

This is basically making use of Chromiums Discard feature, while Microsoft implemented real sleeping tabs - which do not fully unload but just are inactive.

Please add real sleeping tabs. This approach of “using Chromium internal stuff and call it a day” is pretty non satisfying…

1 Like