Feature request: Lazy loading tabs on startup

This issue has been raised multiple times before, but always closed without resolution. So I am retrying now:

Please implement lazy loading tabs on startup in Brave, like it is done in Firefox, Vivaldi and Opera. I have hundreds of tabs which I don’t want to load on every browser restart. Thank you!

Note that those threads are from 2018, 2019, and 2020? A lot has changed since then.

Pretty sure Brave does this already, by default. If you’re not seeing that behavior: do you have any extensions installed?

If you still have issues I’ll take a closer look later today.

No, it doesn’t. After restarting Brave I can see background tabs being loaded, even though I haven’t clicked on them:

But it does, or at least, it should.

I have hundreds of tabs ‘open’ but the ones I haven’t activated (clicked on) since restarting the browser, are using 0 memory.

Can you answer the question about extensions before going further?

No, I have only IPFS Assistant and Google Translate installed, but both disabled:

If you restart your browser with multiple tabs, don’t you see any of them in Brave Task Manager?

Do you mean Task Manager, and if so, the Windows or the Brave one?

In any case, have you taken a look at brave://discards ?

You should be able to see the load state of any ‘open’ tab there, for example:

The really old ones at the top are only loaded because I hit ‘Load’ on them. Prior to that, those were in unloaded state as well.

I’m winging it here, but it looks to me like the behavior is as expected. And likewise if I watch the Windows Task Manager and the # of Brave processes, I could watch that climb when I hit ‘Load’ on a bunch of the unloaded ones. Not necessarily a scientific test but it seems to correlate at least.

For me what really gives it away is I use brave://flags/#tab-hover-card-images and when I mouse over a tab that I haven’t activated since the browser started, it takes a second for it to load in the background in order to show me the thumbnail.

If you are seeing different behavior then that is not expected.

Sorry, I meant Brave Task Manager, as I showed in the first screenshot. This is how my brave://discards looks like just after opening Brave with 3 tabs (haven’t clicked on them) and an active new tab page:

I don’t have any extensions enabled nor Tab Hover Card Images flag. Still, the background tabs are being loaded upon startup, even though I haven’t activated them.

Could anybody from the Brave team have a look at it? Thanks!

In the meantime - do you have anything else set via brave://flags ? (Anything with a non-default setting will be sorted to the top, and will have a blue dot next to it.)

No, I have not set any flags and the background tabs are being loaded on startup.

I am not the only one who experience this - there is an open issue on Github.

OK. Not sure what else to say at this point, as best I can tell, it’s already doing this in my instance. And I recall reading about that behavior being introduced into Chrome maybe a couple years ago; when I was still a Firefox user and already enjoying that behavior there I found it hard to believe that Chrome hadn’t been doing that all along.

As a last resort, you could try toggling this off if it’s on:

Failing that, I’ll be interested to see how the GitHub issue plays out.

Also came across this, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=105666 – especially note the final comment there. It seems implied that the Chromium devs eventually caved and implemented something similar, but not quite the same, but maybe still loads ‘multiple tabs’ but not necessarily ‘all tabs’ depending on # of tabs and available resources. If that’s the case then it could explain why you and I are seeing what look like different behaviors.

Yes, it seems that Chromium is loading some tabs in the background if there is enough memory. But I’d love to be able to disable loading all background tabs in Brave to conserve resources, like Firefox does it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.