Add tab hibernation

Add a hibernation option for inactive tabs to reduce RAM usage of the browser

This now native in Chrome (and thus Brave), no need for a “discarder” extension

1 Like

Where is that option? It says here that Brave doesn’t have it

brave://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion

From: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146276-how-enable-disable-tab-freezing-google-chrome.html

Why is it not in Brave settings?

1 Like

Its default (enabled btw), does need Brave settings option?

I guess, but how does it work?

Should do, if system resources (ram) is limited, it’ll sleep the oldest/unused tabs automatically. Recent chromium (94/95) releases improved ram usage also, which includes Brave here.

I tried that flag but it’s not displayed in my case… Is it for Windows only? I’m on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Going by the description, seems to be Windows specific

Calculate window occlusion on Windows will be used in the future to throttle and potentially unload foreground tabs in occluded windows – Windows

Not sure how current this is, brave://flags/#intensive-wake-up-throttling ?

I’m using Brave for some time now and it never hibernated the tabs

Yes, perhaps some indicator that a tab is sleeping or something. or a feature that is enabled automatically but the availability of the feature as a setting that can be turned off is nice cause we can know that its within the capability of Brave. when the option is not visible everyone thinks you guys perhaps scraped it or something.

Also, add the option in the setting and add levels to it. like very aggressive option to sleep tabs or to sleep them by a time limit constraint. this will be awesome for people running brave in a low spec PC with 8GB ram and lower.

Already added

I haven’t used it myself, But just enable Memory saver?

How to close the thread?

I’ll go ahead and close it.