Stop the automatic opening of new "windows"

Hi,

So lately i am getting very irritated by Brave mobile that opens different links in different windows automatically. I do not want to use windows ever so how do i completely get rid / disable it on Android Mobile?

Hello @Browniepoint

Thank you for reaching out and I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. Could you kindly use private mode to see if the issue persist?

Be waiting for your response!

Thanks for the reply. Where can i find guest mode in android browser ?

Thanks for the reply. Where can i find guest mode in android browser ?

Hi @Browniepoint

Thanks for your reply. About your question, please click on the menu on the upper right, it’s the three vertical dots and select New private Window.

Let us know if that helps!

Ah you mean that… But that doesnt actually adress my issue. I am sharing links from apps to open with my Brave browser on mobile. This simply launches Brave and opens a new TAB. But sometimes Brave creates a new WINDOW and puts the new tabs fom the new shared links inside the new window instead of the old one and im left with 2 windows both with tabs inside of it.

I want Brave to simply stop making new WINDOWS on its own and open all links to brave insite the current and ONLY window

So no one? Not fixing no solutions nothing?

99 views…

What a great community…

Dropped Firefox completely because of the shitty community and hoped Brave community would be better but i guess FF will be the better one since Brave there are no replies what so ever.

Ah you mean that… But that doesnt actually adress my issue. I am sharing links from apps to open with my Brave browser on mobile. This simply launches Brave and opens a new TAB. But sometimes Brave creates a new WINDOW and puts the new tabs fom the new shared links inside the new window instead of the old one and im left with 2 windows both with tabs inside of it.

I want Brave to simply stop making new WINDOWS on its own and open all links to brave insite the current and ONLY window

Hello @Browniepoint

Thanks for the information, I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards!

Still happening. Somehow a new window was openened. 23 links are in it but i cant access them because in that window all functions are hidden / Not working.

Its a freaking cancer i need a fix on now ! Otherwise it sadly would be back to firefox and forces me to stop recommending Brave

Having the same issue on Android 13. If I use Android’s share (because it’s not the default browser) to send a link to Brave, it seems to open a new window instead of tab. I discovered this because there is apparently a limit of 5 open windows.

If I go back instead of going home, it sometimes closes it, but not reliably. It also seems to have old tabs open in these new windows, ones I closed days or weeks ago, that I discover when hitting the tabs button and viewing the open tabs.

Thank you for the reply and the picture. Sadly Brave community and support is really shitty as no one replies…

If its a great annoyance like for myself, search for a better browser with a better and active community (which should not be hard to find compared to brave’s)

Don’t think I agree.

It’s an annoying issue, but think of it this way: we’re on Android, which is a percentage, using Brave, which is a percentage, through Sharing, which is a tiny fraction of the users. This problem affects very few people, and it’s really not that big of a deal.

I think they should fix it because there’s something wrong with the way the browser handles input, which is bad. I don’t think they should because of my usage, which is way out of the norm.

But “somthing wrong with the browser handling links” and an annoyance to users are connected and can’t really be seen seperately…

If the browser is faulty it causes anoyances. It you fix the browser because something is wrong then you inherently fixing it because people get annoyed by the faultyness.

But look at it this way, something is clearly wrong. Its mentioned on their forums, gets 288 views, yet only 2 people (aside from the OP) replies on it with one having the same issue and one does a poor attempt and isnt very much into helping either.

This shows it isnt a community where people really want to spent their time helping eachother out. Ive been testing with wich apps cause this and when it causing it. But why am i even bothering because no one here really wants to help either…

Anyway, i really don’t care anymore. Moved on to a different browser which works very well.

I use Android, and i was not able to open more than 1 WINDOW for the Brave app. Whatever i do, it keeps opening a new TAB.
Seems that someone issue is the fix for someone else.

It may be a result of the specific settings applied?
Example, i use Close all tabs, automatically close browser(actually is going in background).

Kindly share first how you are able to reproduce your issue, and after expect some answers.

Funny how mentioning the bad community and that ive moved on to a different browser already, suddenly some reply’s dripping is.

Anyway like the other person said, It happens randomly when sharing a link from one app to brave in order to have it opened in the brave browser. Sometimes it opens in the current and only window, sometimes it opens a new window all by itself and starts to put other shared links in it aswell which on their turn are not accessable anymore since the tab button and all other buttons in the newly made window are gone.

I do not have close all tabs on browser closing on.

lol, i am not brave employee…
Just popping in, and maybe someone can clarify this for us.
Sometimes helps tagging some members with more knowledge, as i will do now @Saoiray or even @SaltyBanana .
With the amount of topics that are daily opening, it may be hard to keep count and follow all of them in 1 day(adding a strange and new issue).

You can’t. The way it’s generally designed is that internal links, meaning it goes to something on the same website, will open in the same tab. External links open in a new tab.

That said, this would be an upstream issue originating in Chromium and would be considered a “heavy lift” within Brave. This means it would be a lot of time and effort to make changes, therefore would fall in line with a whole bunch of other requests which are not essential to the use of the browser. Often, when it’s an upstream issue, you’d have better luck requesting changes through the Chromium project.

This question asked by Alice really wouldn’t have applied you yours. They are still learning and often still suggests basic troubleshooting that is not necessarily applicable to a person. The reason why guest/private mode is usually suggested is to figure out if extensions or cookies are an issue. As you’re on Android, you wouldn’t have extensions. And while it still could test for cookies, it likely wouldn’t have an impact on opening links.

Well, when people don’t have an answer they tend to stay quiet. I mean, people could have spouted out a lot of nonsense to you, but I doubt you wanted that. And there are a lot of things that get higher priority. Believe it or not, there are hundreds of posts each day, with about 300 already just for today as I’m posting this.

Most of what you get here on Community are Users, such as myself, who volunteer their time to help. In terms of Support, they only have a handful who work here.

Well, in my case it’s because I got tagged here. I hadn’t seen your post until now. If you ever check my activity you’ll see I come on a lot and respond to a lot of people. But we can’t see it all.

Then that would make even more sense. If you’re clicking on a link from outside of Brave, then why would it want to redirect you from a page you left open? It doesn’t know if you’re finished. You could very much lose out on something. This definitely would be getting complaints from people if it was the reverse and me clicking a link from Facebook, text messages, etc would just automatically open in whatever window I had last.

All of what I said, let me clarify, do you really mean new window? Because there’s not multiple windows on Android. It’s all tabs.

Ok then. Well, other people still see this. So if not for you, then answer is there for others.

HI,

Well if you look at the screenshot provided above by TheGuyOTC, you definetly see “manage windows” with 4 windows and each window has a few tabs. So there definetly are windows on mobile android. This is exactly what i also get.

Then when im in the current window that was already open in brave i can see and use the home button, bookmark button, search button, tab button and the three dots.

But when switching to a diferent window, all these buttons are gone and if there are multiple tabs within that window i can only see the first tab.

To be able to get back to the first window where i did see all those buttons i need to force close brave, reopen and it opens back in the window where i do see those buttons and can see the tabs.

Like i said, most of the time when i click a link from outside of brave and say it should open with brave it opens in my current window nicely as a tab (as it should). But occasionally, and i havnt found out if it has to do with a certain app or way of sharing, a shared link to open with brave does not open a tab in the current windows but makes brave open a new window automatically and then creates a new tab within there.

3 Likes