Stacked tabs Command Line Flag not working in 1.34.80

Description of the issue:
Command line Flag “–force-stacked-tab-strip-layout” has stopped working with newly updated version 1.34 (it was working fine with previous version 1.33.106, and still is in one not updated device and versions before).
In my case Brave is run with this command in Target section:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe” --disk-cache-dir=r:\Chrome --force-stacked-tab-strip-layout
The Cache folder Flag is used correctly but the Stacked layout is now ignored. I have tried to switch order of Flags but result is just the same.

Also I am not able to downgrade to 1.33.106 - installation package prevents from downgrading and downloaded standalone zip package is not able to run due to “parallel configuration” issue.
The only option is to uninstall and install again which I don’t want to do.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. run Brave with the Flag “–force-stacked-tab-strip-layout”
  2. open 80+ tabs in single window
  3. All 80+ are visible and very small in size (hard to read and navigate as names are not visible, hard to move them, easy to accidentally close)

Expected result:
Stacked layout should be visible (only ~20 tabs visible and stack of other tabs at the end or at both ends when browsing in the middle)

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:
Regression from previous versions

I am new to this forum so please someone tell me what should happen next - is there any ticket created to Development team (Jira, GitHub)? Will there be any notification that someone reviewed this request?

I don’t think any tickets are created automatically. There are Support team members here, but the primary purpose (as I see it) is to get help from the user community. Sometimes it’s quick, sometimes not.

To your issue though, I don’t use Stacked Tabs. I may be able to do some experimenting later if I get time. But another possible solution to your root problem is the Scrollable Tabstrip, chrome://flags/#scrollable-tabstrip - I’ve been using this for quite a while, using ‘Shrink to Medium Width’ and the tabs will shrink but not beyond usefulness.

You can also enable buttons to be able to scroll the tabstrip that way if desired.

(I wonder if the breaking of stacked tabs has something to do with the move to Chromium 97. Maybe it got removed upstream? Would be interesting to see if the same problem occurs in Chrome 97.)

Thank you Jim - exactly the solution I needed, maybe even better than Stacked Tabs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.