Sound stops working on Brave after playing one time

Description of the issue:
Hi, First post but I’m not new to the concept. I’ve tried for maybe 2 months to resolve the issue myself, read and performed so many steps, reinstalls, changed settings, but I still have the same issue.

I see it has been posted before and there’s not really been a definitive response. I figured I would post here before moving to another browser as I like using Brave.

My problem is that when any open tab plays sound one time then all open tabs will not play sound after.

The problem does not persist after closing and reopening Brave, when I do this I am again able to play sound once before it stops.

Things I have tried so far…

1. Uninstall/reinstall Brave
  2. Disable/enable hardware acceleration
  3. Create a new profile
  4. Entirely delete all userdata and start again
  5. Look at volume mixer, etc. to see if sound is being channeled elsewhere (it’s not)
  6. Reinstall audio drivers
  7. Try different audio outputs

Is there a definitive fix for this?

Thanks

How can this issue be reproduced?

I do not know, seems not to affect everyone

Expected result:
Sound plays

Brave version

Brave 1.25.68 Chromium: 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Revision 1cecd5c8a856bc2a5adda436e7b84d8d21b339b6-refs/branch-heads/4472@{#1246}
OS Windows 10 OS Version 1909 (Build 18363.1556)
JavaScript V8 9.1.269.28
User agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.77 Safari/537.36

Additional Information:

This is entirely a Brave issue, if I have no sound on Brave then I can take the URL, paste it in to another browser and get the sound.

1 Like

I guess there is no actual support for Brave. I will just use a different browser.

I had the same problem, but since the last version “1.26.67 Chromium: 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)”, published yesterday, it disappear.

same here just lost the sound and seems like cannot be fixed. Good bye Brave!

Solution found

try going to your sound settings:
1.start brave with sound like youtube or smthing
2.windows settings → sound → advanced sound options → app volume and device preferences, and adjust the settings for Brave.

1 Like

@Aviaportal,
So it appears that this wasn’t a Brave issue at all?
@drabgail if you’re still around I’m happy to help assist you. Let me know.

I am quite sure this was not the Brave issue. I am happy this is sorted now as I love this browser.
Thanks to the community!

2 Likes

Is this thread still open?
Just for information / as a contribution.
I’ve also noticed issues with sound in Brave which is now the browser I use most.
On a desktop i7 computer running Windows 8.1.
The issue usually pops up when I have several Brave tabs open simultaneously each with a YouTube video.
While I watch one YT video the other YT videos are paused or have not yet been started - AutoPlay is disabled.
When I return to one of the other Brave tabs and start the video, there is (almost always) no sound. Usually adjusting the YT sound control up or down seems to restart sound but occasionally the sound starts by itself after a few seconds (variable delay).
So far I have not been able to detect / ascertain a pattern.
This issue is not evident in other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc.).
If helpful, I could try to reserve some time to troubleshoot further but perhaps this issue is recognisable already.

I gave up using Brave just because of the amount of time and hoops it took to get support but I did try the suggestions in this thread and Aviaportal’s idea of changing it in the sound mixer worked for me. I do still feel like it is a Brave issue… no other applications I use get zeroed out in the sound mixer or lose their output device. In any case, if you want to keep using Brave then try that.

Thank you drabgail for your comment - and the thread :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m probably not the most demanding user and I find that I can tolerate the sound issue because the workaround is easy. It’s just a shame that the issue is there at all, rather like some of the silly quirks that are still in OpenOffice Calc and Writer which detract (slightly) from fine alternatives to MS Office products. But I digress…
Anyway, I do like and prefer the Brave browser, particularly its ethos.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.