Sound stops on playback

Description of the issue:
In Brave desktop browser, when playing sound or video on a web page, if user switches tabs, sound playback stops - first for one tab, then playback stops in all tabs.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave with only the New Tab screen loaded
  2. Open a website with a music or video link: Yahoo news or entertainment for example.
  3. Open a new tab with music or video: Youtube video
  4. Playback stops in all tabs.

Expected result:
Sound should continue to play
Until recently, sound playback has never stopped, regardless of switching tabs or opening new tabs.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.10.97 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Windows 10

Workaround
Currently, user can get sound working again:

1. Close all tabs before exiting Brave.
  2. Exit Brave desktop browser.
  3. Launch Brave desktop browser again with only the New Tab screen open
  4. Load a web page with sound or video link. Sound will work until a new tab with sound or video playback is opened.

@kwall,
Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m actually unable to reproduce this on my end on Windows or macOS.

Can you try creating a new browsing profile (Menu --> Create new profile) and see if you can reproduce the behavior you’re describing in this new profile?

Hi, Mattches,

Thank you for your reply. I created a new profile (Menu - Create new profile) and loaded this video:

Then I opened a new tab and played this news story: https://my.xfinity.com/video/dad-re-creates-famous-movie-scenes-with-his-kids-as-the-stars/493360/Comcast/ccx_NBC_new?player=ccx&cid=sf_vidtray_dad&tab=Must%20Watch

Sound playback continued to play in the first tab (the Youtube video). I paused the Youtube video to watch the xfinity news story, and all sound playback stopped in both tabs. The videos continued to play with no sound.

Also, the speakers on the computer continue to work. I can adjust the volume on the speakers, and system sounds continue to work.

Reloading the tabs does not allow the sound playback to restart. Exiting Brave and re-launching the Youtube video does allow the sound to play normally.

Does any of this make any sense? It has been happening only for about the last week. Before that, all videos and all sound played back normally.

Thank you!

Don’t worry you change the default setting

Thanks, Veeramani!

I tried changing the default sound setting to allow. Here is the latest test:

1. launch Brave
  2. browse to YouTube
  3. set sound to “allow” and not default
  4. reload YouTube and verify sound is set to “allow”
  5. play a video. I used this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp9JghhGPao
  6. at the end of the video, load a new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNgAZVrf40
  7. verify sound is still set to “allow”
  8. no sound plays in second video
  9. computer speakers still play
  10. system sounds still play
  11. videos plus sound play in Chrome
  12. close all tabs in Brave (optionally close Chrome and restart computer - makes no difference)
  13. repeat from step one. Sound still stops playback on second video

Thank you to everyone offering help!

Still no correct diagnosis. Sound still stops on playback. Is anyone else seeing this? Even with the web site setting for Sound set to “allow” instead of default, sound is still not playing. Can anyone else reproduce this error?
Play Youtube video to the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp9JghhGPao
After that video, try playing a new YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNgAZVrf40

No sound, just video.

No one else seeing this??

@Mattches
@ChrisWS
@TeotiX

I owe thanks to each of you. I am so relieved this sound problem is resolved. I didn’t want to go back to Chrome or worse MS Edge after months of freedom.

@ChrisWS, thank you for posting your problem with sound in the Brave browser. If you read my thread above, you will see that I had the same issue. Reading through your post lead me to a remarkable surprise.

I have been running Brave since April 19, and I have never had a problem. I had literally given up and was going to follow @Mattches directions to wipe the Brave user data and then install the Brave Beta. In order to do so, I properly, I was going to close all open apps/windows. My Advanced Sound Settings were already open due to the advice from @TeotiX. So just before closing my sound options, I hit “reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults”. And when I went back to Brave, all sound sources played normally. No system restart. No clearing of browsing data. No alternate profile. Just resetting the Advanced Sound Options to MS defaults apparently refreshed the relationship between the Win10 O/S and the Brave browser.

@Mattches, if anything goes wrong with the sound in the next few days, I will install the Brave Beta.

Thank you for taking the time to offer assistance

2 Likes

@kwall,
Excellent reporting and I’m very pleased to hear that you figured out the issue. I’m going to bookmark this thread in the event I see other users with similar issues. And yes, if the issue persists, please let us know if it is also present on Beta.