Some "Web App" shortcuts won't open

Description of the issue:
I often use what I am going to refer to as “Web App” shortcuts, which you create by visiting a site of interest, then Options > More Tools > Create Shortcut… then tick the open as window box. Some of my shortcuts do not work, the mouse cursor changes to the loading indicator for a few seconds, but nothing else happens.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Go to https://drive.google.com
  2. Options > More Tools > Create Shortcut… then tick “open as window”
  3. Find the new shortcut (start menu, desktop) and double click it
  4. Wait…

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Nothing! But if I check the windows event viewer there is a corresponding entry:

Faulting application name: chrome_proxy.exe, version: 73.0.62.51, time stamp: 0x5ca43dd0
Faulting module name: chrome_proxy.exe, version: 73.0.62.51, time stamp: 0x5ca43dd0
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x000000000000120f
Faulting process ID: 0x2614
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4f445e22b65c9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave Browser\Application\chrome_proxy.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\chrome_proxy.exe
Report ID: 1ee6f880-6445-4d15-800e-0a33e1942763
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Expected result:
A new “chromeless” (is that the right word? no tabs or URL bar etc.) window for the desired site.

Reproduces how often:
Every time for certain sites (drive.google.com, jquery.com), but never for others (mail.google.com).

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Brave: 0.62.51
Windows 10 (1803)

Additional Information:
This was happening prior to the recent update to Brave.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting @benmiller86,

It’s a known issue. See Shortcuts don't work on PC

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.