Brave browser not opening

Description of the issue:

When I click on the Brave desktop shortcut, my mouse turns into a loading icon, then in a few seconds it reverts back to the normal mouse icon and nothing happens. Task Manager’s Details section shows a bunch of tasks named Brave.exe in this time, but they soon disappear and Brave fails to open. Sometimes, more than three appear, but they disappeared too fast for me to react and screenshot them all. Just take my word for it.

I have tried changing the Target field in the Properties window after right-clicking the shortcut, and still nothing.

This was true of my version of Brave that had been working before today (it started acting up this morning), so I tried restarting the PC as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but no dice. Anyone have any other ideas?

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Ensure Task Manager and the Properties windows are open
    1a. Ensure the Target field contains --disable-gpu after the quotations. Separate them with a space!
  2. Click on the Brave desktop shortcut
  3. Brave.exe should appear multiple times in the Details tab on Task Manager, then disappear while Brave fails to load.

Expected result:

Brave should open and take me to my home screen

Brave Version:

Unable to check; Brave will not open. Probably the latest build as of 4/16/2020, 6:13 PM Pacific time, whatever that version happens to be.

Additional Information:

I am using the most recent build of Windows 10 as of 4/16/2020 at 6:04 PM Pacific Time. I updated it to this build last night. OS Information: Windows 10 Home, Version 1903

I would appreciate any theories on why this is happening, and of course solutions would be received well. Thanks in advance!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.