Since an update a few months ago (no idea which one) browser process takes up to 30 seconds to exit after closing the window

Description of the issue:
after closing the browser window, the process remains active (visible in task manager), during which time no new windows can be opened. this lasts between 15 and 30 seconds.

How can this issue be reproduced?
It’s reproducible every time i close the brave application.

Expected result:
Process exits immediately (e.g. within one second) after closing the last window.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:
Windows 10
This has been the case for many versions but i don’t know what version it began.
“continue running background apps when brave is closed” is already disabled in preferences. this does not fix the problem.
Have tried both enabling and disabling “close window when closing last tab” but has no effect on this issue.
Have tried disabling all extensions and has no effect.

Hello @cooperdb

Thank you for reaching out and I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. Could you kindly try to clear cookies and cache:

1. Click on the Menu icon in the top right, and go to Settings
  2. Go to Additional settingsPrivacy and SecurityClear browsing data
      • A quicker way to get to this page would be to enter brave://settings/clearBrowserData into your address bar
      • See Advanced for a breakdown of the data you can clear
  1. Deselect Browsing history and Cached files (if you only want to clear cookies)
  2. Click Clear data

Let us know if that works!

thanks for the suggestion but that did not help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.