Settings for some websites not saving with this version of Brave

Just noticed something really weird. That day when I encountered the issue and you suggested clearing Cookies and other site data , Cached images and files , Site and Shields Settings which I did without logging out of my accounts(accounts that are always logged in on my browser like discord, tutanota, protonmail etc) which were accessible or inaccessible(due to the bug). Right now I opened discord and I directly got signed in without entering my credentials. I was confused for a moment as to how I got signed in. To confirm it I went on opening all those websites which always stay logged in on my Brave using my bookmarks tab and all of them logged in directly and no its not my password manager as it is locked plus has autofill/auto sign in disabled. Does that mean that those site settings, cookies etc were never cleared at the first place? This is weird

1 Like

This is actually the second time I receive such a weird report. Do you mind checking whether this behavior is present in your fresh (test) user profile and Beta & Nightly?

2 Likes

The issue isn’t present on my test profile neither my Brave Nightly v1.31.22 Chromium: 93.0.4577.63. I was able to recreate it on Brave Beta v1.30.57 Chromium: 93.0.4577.58.

Steps to reproduce:
I opened discord, logged in to my account cleared all site settings, cache, cookies etc by selecting “All Time”, closed the browser, reopened the browser and went back to discord again.

1 Like

Huh, this is a pretty weird bug. I mean, Brave isn’t super old like Chrome, Opera, etc, so it’s just possible that random bugs happen.

3 Likes

Thank you for your extraordinary assistance! I’ll mention this issue right away so developers are aware of this weird behavior as well!

3 Likes

Your welcome. Thank you too for assisting me with the previous bug. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The issue is back :/. Looks like Brave Community and Google account(youtube, drive, gmail all google services work fine) are the only ones not affected by this

Edit: disabling brave://flags/#brave-ephemeral-storage works for all sites

2 Likes

We’re investigating this issue, but as discussed disabling brave://flags/#brave-ephemeral-storage is a temp solution

3 Likes

@anon20370588

Unfortunately, I expected this outcome as a few users reported the same outcome. I’m wondering, did disabling the flag allow you to clear your browsing data?

1 Like

Yes it did. I cleared everything except for cookies and other site data and site & sheild settings.

2 Likes

But you can clear all browsing data in your test user profile after disabling the flag, can’t you?

1 Like

yes everything clears but cached images and files and site and sheild settings stay at “less than 1MB” and “2 sites” regardless of how many times i clear everything as shown above. I selected time range as “All time”.

1 Like

All right, updated my comment in Github with the new details :+1:

Here we go, the issue received the highest possible priority, :crossed_fingers: for a fix in the upcoming hours/days.

1 Like

Read:

This should be fixed in the latest Brave build, Version 1.29.79 @Rethanis @anon20370588

1 Like

@fanboynz

Yep, exactly what my comment says :smiley:

P.S Mentioned the exact version in my comment in case it wasn’t clear enough.

1 Like

@Rethanis @fanboynz updated brave to 1.29.79 and set ephemeral storage flag to default. All sites are working fine now. Thanks :smiley:

1 Like

I still have this issue on 1.29.79. Disabling ephemeral storage fixes it.

1 Like

Please, provide more details.

1. Where are you experiencing issues (which websites)?
  2. What OS are you using?
  3. Are you using other third-party extensions?
  4. Steps to reproduce would be of huge help.

Have not been able to reliably reproduce this, wish I could help you there. I started noticing this a week ago on the previous stable build. Plex, Unifi Protect, Reddit, and my banking would exhibit this behavior. Google services always fine here as well.

Deleting ‘Cookies’ from \AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default would correct it for 24 hours, issue would return at some point the next day.

Updated to 1.29.79 yesterday, issue appeared to be corrected until this morning. Only just found this thread, so again, appears ‘fixed’ for the moment with ephemeral storage disabled…

On W10 x64 21H1, only browser extension I have installed is BitWarden.