Settings for some websites not saving with this version of Brave

its back for me too after it fixed after rebooting yesterday. i also cleared all cookiesm site data, cached images, files, site & sheild settings as @Rethanis told but it doesn’t work

If your issue is related to the cookies regression issue, you’ll have to wait for the upcoming Brave update. There isn’t an announced date, but since QA are already testing the build, it might as well be released later today or at some time tomorrow.

Can be tracked over here:

1 Like

Just to let you know, japaweiss opened a Github report regarding the issue. If I’m wrong about the regression issue with cookies, at least developers will be made aware of the new issue. Mentioned this thread in the Github report, too.

Also remembered developers introduced ephemeral storage changes, so asked about that too.

1 Like

All right, we have a reply from a developer.

It looks like something is going on with localStorage after some time. I’m trying to reproduce this locally, but haven’t got any result yet. It doesn’t look like it’s cookie related.
The change that touched localStorage and possibly the culprit is this: brave/brave-core#9402

@Synozeer @markprezendes

If you could provide more details or even better - steps to reproduce the issue, I’ll be happy to forward your reply so developers can look into the issue as soon as possible. Of course, feel free to post in Github on your behalf if you would like to do so.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up. Unfortunately I don’t know how to reproduce it. Most of the time it just happens - sometimes after several hours, sometimes immediately. Rebooting fixed it at least one time, but not others.

1 Like

@Synozeer @markprezendes

First, please update your browsers to the latest version as we just got an update.
Second, please test whether you’re experiencing this issue in a fresh user profile - Create a new profile to help Troubleshoot.

2 Likes

As per developers’ suggestion, check whether disabling brave://flags/#brave-ephemeral-storage resolves the issue. It’s a recommended temporary solution.

Also, do you mind checking whether you’re having any issues in Brave Beta or Brave Nightly without disabling any flags? That will help developers find the issue easier and commit a fix.

https://brave.com/download-beta/
https://brave.com/download-nightly/

Update:

Are you still experiencing issues? Got reports both Feedly and Discord work normally today.

1 Like

Steps to reproduce the issue:

As @Synozeer mentioned, it just happens randomly. I log in to a website and I’m supposed to stay logged in but when I open a new tab and open the same website, the website opens logged out asking me for credentials again. Also If i log in to the website and later again visit the website, its logged out.

1 Like

@markprezendes

Thank you.

• Are you still experiencing issues?
  • Did you have to disable brave://flags/#brave-ephemeral-storage as suggested?
  • Have you checked whether the issue is present in Beta or Nightly?
1 Like

On it. Will inform once done

1 Like

Before updating my brave browser 1.29.76 to 1.29.77 I tried to reproduce the issue but couldn’t do it the issue was suddenly gone. Then I tried creating a new profile and tried to reproduce the issue and failed again. Then I updated my brave browser to 1.29.77 and tried the above procedures again and failed to recreate the issue. Couldn’t reproduce the issue on Brave Beta v 1.30.57 Chromium: 93.0.4577.58 and Brave Nightly v1.31.22 Chromium: 93.0.4577.63 as well. Didn’t try disabling brave://flags/#brave-ephemeral-storage since I couldn’t recreate the issue. Should I anyways?

1 Like

Thank you once again. No, don’t disable the flag until you face the issue as disabling the flag is currently a temporary workaround for users facing the issue.

I’ll wait a few hours before I update my comment in the Github ticket. Please, let me know if the issue appears once again :+1:

1 Like

Just noticed something really weird. That day when I encountered the issue and you suggested clearing Cookies and other site data , Cached images and files , Site and Shields Settings which I did without logging out of my accounts(accounts that are always logged in on my browser like discord, tutanota, protonmail etc) which were accessible or inaccessible(due to the bug). Right now I opened discord and I directly got signed in without entering my credentials. I was confused for a moment as to how I got signed in. To confirm it I went on opening all those websites which always stay logged in on my Brave using my bookmarks tab and all of them logged in directly and no its not my password manager as it is locked plus has autofill/auto sign in disabled. Does that mean that those site settings, cookies etc were never cleared at the first place? This is weird

This is actually the second time I receive such a weird report. Do you mind checking whether this behavior is present in your fresh (test) user profile and Beta & Nightly?

1 Like

The issue isn’t present on my test profile neither my Brave Nightly v1.31.22 Chromium: 93.0.4577.63. I was able to recreate it on Brave Beta v1.30.57 Chromium: 93.0.4577.58.

Steps to reproduce:
I opened discord, logged in to my account cleared all site settings, cache, cookies etc by selecting “All Time”, closed the browser, reopened the browser and went back to discord again.

Huh, this is a pretty weird bug. I mean, Brave isn’t super old like Chrome, Opera, etc, so it’s just possible that random bugs happen.

2 Likes

Thank you for your extraordinary assistance! I’ll mention this issue right away so developers are aware of this weird behavior as well!

2 Likes

Your welcome. Thank you too for assisting me with the previous bug. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The issue is back :/. Looks like Brave Community and Google account(youtube, drive, gmail all google services work fine) are the only ones not affected by this

Edit: disabling brave://flags/#brave-ephemeral-storage works for all sites

1 Like

We’re investigating this issue, but as discussed disabling brave://flags/#brave-ephemeral-storage is a temp solution

2 Likes