Description of the issue:
If no Private Windows with Tor have been opened prior to the most recent launch of the Brave app, repeatedly opening and closing Private Windows with Tor too quickly can trigger a crash. (I used keyboard shortcuts because pressing keys is faster than dragging and clicking the mouse.)
How can this issue be reproduced?
- Quit and reopen the Brave Desktop app.
- Open a new regular window or a new Private Window (without Tor). Allow the window to load (or not, doesn’t matter). Don’t close this window.
- Use the command-option-N keyboard shortcut to open a Private Window with Tor window.
- As soon as the Private Window with Tor window appears on-screen, immediately close that window using command-W.
- As soon as the window from step 4 disappears from view, immediately repeat steps 3 and 4 in order until Brave crashes. In my attempts, Brave has crashed after no more than three cycles of steps 3-5.
The Private Windows with Tor open and close normally. Brave doesn’t crash and the normal/private window from step 2 stays open.
The Brave app crashes. (If automatic crash reporting is enabled in settings, a new report appears in brave://crashes)
Brave Version( check
Version 1.5.123 Chromium: 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (64-bit)
This is the most current Release build of Brave Desktop as of when I wrote this post.
I’m using MacOS Catalina 10.15.4
I’ve also reproduced this with MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 with the latest Release build of Brave Desktop.
The first time I accidentally triggered this crash, I’d already had several tabs and windows open. I almost always open new windows with keyboard shortcuts and normally don’t use Private Windows with Tor. I had accidentally used the command-option-N (PW with Tor) shortcut instead of the normal command-shift-N shortcut (regular PW). I closed the PW with Tor window and tried to open a regular PW without pausing, but I accidentally pressed the PW with Tor shortcut again. The new PW with Tor popped up and the Brave app crashed almost immediately.
Waiting a few seconds after opening and again after closing a PW with Tor seems to be a workaround. After I wait, I can’t trigger the crash again at will unless I quit and reopen the app first.
I’ve only tested this on MacOS; closing all Brave windows doesn’t actually quit the Brave app.