Remove tab close botton

Good afternoon,

I’m a new Brave user coming from Firefox and one of things I customized with Firefox was disabling the close button on tabs so that I don’t close tabs by mistake. Does Brave have an advanced setting which will allow me to disable the close (X) button?

This makes it much easier when using a mouse to select a tab because I don’t have to worry about being precise about my clicks inside the tab.

Cheers,
-Chris

1 Like

Welcome to Community! :tada:
Thank you for bringing this to my attention – I honestly looked around for quite a long time trying to find a solution to this in Brave/Chromium/Chrome. It appears that there used to be a flag that did this but it’s since been removed. I couldn’t even find an extension that offers this to my great surprise.

I’ll propose this to the team though – maybe there’s a particular reason it’s not done. In the interim, if you do end up accidentally closing tabs, you can use ctrl + shift + t (cmd + shift + t on macOS) to reopen recently closed tabs (you can do this multiple times, like a “Undo” button for tabs). Additionally, recently closed tabs should appear in Menu --> History --> Recently Closed:image

1 Like

Thank you Mattches,

Glad to be apart of the community, Brave looks like it has a bright future. I look forward to a possible solution to remove the disable button but in the meantime I’ll use your workaround (cmd + shift + t).

1 Like

Has there been any updates on this yet?
Would really love to be able to do this, since I prefer only closing tabs using the middle mouse button as well, closed a tab on accident way to often with the close button xP

This is an extremely valuable feature for those who have to add\modify some text on a web page. Just like for example in this very web form where I am writing the message right now. Imagine, you are switching temporarily to another tab to check something or get some expiration. Then you want to go back to the previous page and misclick the close button. Bahm, all of your progress is lost. Yes, you can refer to all kinds of workarounds and “wise” thoughts about proper tools for such tasks but on the other hand, simply removing one little button would solve this problem. At least an option for power users, let it be hidden but give the users a right to choose on their own.

I’ll propose this to the team though – maybe there’s a particular reason it’s not done.

Knowing the roots of such a decision would have been nice.

By the way, FF also removed this feature, though it is still available through modifying userChrome.css
This issue probably roots in the chromium itself.

P.S. I use ctrl+shift+t a lot

Any movement on this one?

This is one of the big reasons I don’t use Brave often. I’m a keyboard shortcut user (opening/closing tabs) and with so many tabs open the close button is a serious issue when clicking on a specific tab.

I would like to add that if one clicks on a small tab twice while a lot of tabs are open, the second click would land on the x button appearing with the first click, closing the tab instead of selecting it. Incidental double click or mouse button bounces will then not lead to user frustration if removed.

If possible, give the user an option to enable or disable or only show the x button on tabs when more than xx (fill in number) tabs are open or when the amount of tabs reach the right side of the windows border, shrinking their individual sizes.

Keeping the ball rolling, because this would be a very useful feature as I am not an osu or csgo player with perfect aim 100% of the time [especially with many shrunken tabs]. I hope it isn’t too hard to implement [just a simple on off switch would do].

I actually like that future a lot. if I want to close a specific tab without going to it, I can do it by just hoviring over it. Happens many times a day. So, don’t just remove the X, keep it, but make a settings allowing users to choose if they want to disable it. Again, having that X and closing the tab is very useful for me. I also have 10-20+ tabs opened all the time, and often need to close a tab and don’t wanna have to first go to that tab and than close it. I never closed a tab by accident, you just gotta be careful where you click.

This is actually the reason I need a precise mouse with high sensitivity. And that smooth scrolling, to the pixel.

Was just taking a timed, 90 minute aptitude test online and realized what a potential disaster this would be. If you click the “x” on the tab you’d lose all the data you’ve entered! This really needs to become optional for users again so that we can avoid needless catastrophes.