Reddit.com: video doesn't play

Description of the issue:

Video doesn’t play, it just sits loading forever.

You should be able to replicate the issue by opening the link in a private browsing window. Disabling shields, reloading the page, then re-enabling shields resolves the issue.

Exact URL of the website in question:

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Yes

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

No

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):

Version 1.20.108 Chromium: 88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (arm64)

@Gigabit,
On my end, the video you linked works as intended for me with default browser/Shields settings. I tested on both old reddit and new reddit just to be sure. Can you tell me what OS you’re using? Additionally, can you try creating a new, temp. profile and see if the video loads and plays as intended when using the new profile?

macOS 11.2.1, did you make sure to try in private browsing mode?

With a temporary profile, the issue still occurs - the video does not play.

@Gigabit,
Yeah – the video works on my end in Private and Private w/tor windows (as well as standard windows). My next bet would be that it’s some sort of caching issue but if you got the same results in a new profile then that’s not likely the case – same goes for extensions that may be conflicting.

Are there other sites where you see this behavior? Additionally, if you’re on the “new” reddit layout, does the video still infinitely load?

@Mattches it’s not a video but: eToro.com: login page doesn't load.

Seems to be okay on new Reddit.

responded to eToro.com: login page doesn't load

I wonder if these two issues are at all related, what should I try next @Mattches?

@Gigabit,
The issues are likely not related and it appears that @fanboynz has submitted a PR to help with the eToro site issue.

As for the Reddit video I’m not clear on what would be causing the issue. It’s very strange that it works with the new Reddit layout and not the old one. Can you confirm for me whether or not other reddit videos work or is it just the one (or a limited set) that don’t? Also, are you connected to a VPN?

Not connected to a VPN.

Seems like it’s only happening with that video at that moment.

@Gigabit,
Thanks for confirming.
Not entirely sure what to say or do about it since it seems to be just the one video. I’m going to leave this thread open for you to reply to should you encounter other videos showing the same behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.